Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8250 Questions

adzen, modified 7 Years ago.

Genelec 8250 Questions

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 5/21/15 Recent Posts
Hello,

I've purchased the Genelecs 8250 + the GLM 2.0 kit.

I didn't calibrated yet the monitors, but out of the box they sound great.

I'm currently checking my options regarding the interface, because I want to take advantage of the AES digital inputs on the Genelecs. I'm thinking of the Antelope Orion + RME MADI FX Card, any user here with such combo or similar one? I'm still confused where to connect the Genelecs since the Orion has SPDIF, a converter should be placed in the middle I presume I want a very clean chain, so if anyone have a good recommendation for the converter please shoot ;)

And last, where can I buy the Genelec Volume Control for GLM2.0 ? I can't see it anywhere in Europe, or better do I need it if I go with the aforementioned combo or should I go for a more advanced monitor controller?

Thanks.
1038, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8250 Questions

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
You can use the SPDIF output, you'll need a digital cable with RCA-XLR to run from the orion to the first 8250, then a xlr-xlr digital cable to link the 2 8250's, as long as this RCA-XLR cable is kept short.. under 2 meters, you should have no problems.

Thanks Steve.

Any ideas how can I fit a volume box in this particular setup? Will the GLM knob be enough? There's many options for external monitor controllers but seems they are all based in analog audio setups not AES/Spdif. Thanks.

If you are going to keep it all digital, then GLM would be the best solution. GLM 2 has the option of a wired or wireless controller...
docent, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 5/22/12 Recent Posts
Hi,
If you just have SPDIF output the good solution is http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/a ... nsformers/ and then digital symetrical cabel with XLR to connect your 8250s.
You can transmit SPDIF with longer cabel and place transformer near first loudspeaker or short coaxial and then AES EBU cabel to first and between loudspeakers. If you like really greate effect, try good USB/ AES EBU converter in case of PC audio system. Try M2Tech EVO.
Volume regulation is then in audio software or in GLM. In GLM you can use Powermate Controll https://store.griffintechnology.com/powermate
All depends on money you want to spend on your system. I went from DYI audio to my beloved GENELC system and I still have a lot to do, to improve my system. Little worning, in short time you will have no fun listening majority of passive laudspeakers inclouding many so called "high end" .
Regards
Docent

Hi,

Thanks for your input (no pun intended).

Why do I need the converter? A regular 1 to 2 meter spdif to AES/EBU wouldn't do the job? and then another AES/EBU between the speakers with 5 meter?

Something like mogami:

http://www.markertek.com/productImage/H ... -AES-6.JPG

ok I think I got it, the genelecs accept only 110 ohm signal?

As i said in my first reply, if the RCA to XLR serial Digital cable is shorter than 2 metres you won't have a problem, the input is very robust. AES/EBU serial digital cables are 110ohms, but you must also get 110ohm XLR connectors to use ot the 110ohm cable is no longer 110ohm...
docent, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 5/22/12 Recent Posts
Regarding SPDIF to AES/EBU conversion. It is just about sound quality you would like to achieve. Converting SPDIF signal to balanced 110 Ohm, standard results in better sound image transparency, space and overall "reality" impression. You probably know about High End digital connectors used in SPDIF transmission, for example from transport to DA converter. Some audio-fans are ready to thousands of USD to get the best sound, because they hear the difference ;). I spent a lot of time playing with cables, signal converters/transformers, digital signal amplifiers, etc. plus my beloved Genelecs. Some of my ideas were very unorthodox. Check my other posts on the forum. The fact is, that 8250 allows you to hear very fine differences in sound. Just to give you good example. I tested connection of my system to UPS system, typically used for PC power supply. I and some other people can hear the difference (more dynamic bass). Some of effects I managed to notice during tests are not easy to be explained on base of science.

After all if you use balanced system, the influence of external electric signals in particular radio-frequencies (e.g. mobile phones) is much lower and the digital audio signal is not interfered with other non audio signals.
Sorry for this academic lecture. You can find all of this in any book or publication, regarding signal transmission.
Regards

Regarding SPDIF to AES/EBU conversion. It is just about sound quality you would like to achieve. Converting SPDIF signal to balanced 110 Ohm, standard results in better sound image transparency, space and overall "reality" impression. You probably know about High End digital connectors used in SPDIF transmission, for example from transport to DA converter. Some audio-fans are ready to thousands of USD to get the best sound, because they hear the difference ;). I spent a lot of time playing with cables, signal converters/transformers, digital signal amplifiers, etc. plus my beloved Genelecs. Some of my ideas were very unorthodox. Check my other posts on the forum. The fact is, that 8250 allows you to hear very fine differences in sound. Just to give you good example. I tested connection of my system to UPS system, typically used for PC power supply. I and some other people can hear the difference (more dynamic bass). Some of effects I managed to notice during tests are not easy to be explained on base of science.

After all if you use balanced system, the influence of external electric signals in particular radio-frequencies (e.g. mobile phones) is much lower and the digital audio signal is not interfered with other non audio signals.
Sorry for this academic lecture. You can find all of this in any book or publication, regarding signal transmission.
Regards

Thanks for chiming in, actually I'm not into audiophile market, I want to record plenty of vintage outboard synths, my current cables are Mogami Gold, and if I could stay in the Mogami territory would be cool. Can you recommend a full set of cables (brand/model) or any other device in the middle? Cheers.