Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8040B Hiss - Should I return them?

orchgal, modified 7 Years ago.

8040B Hiss - Should I return them?

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 5/21/15 Recent Posts
Hi all,

New to the Genelec forums, so hello! I demo-ed some Genelec 8040Bs in store and they were hugely superior to everything else on offer, so i took the plunge and ordered them.

Having just unboxed today, I am hearing a fair amount of hiss from the tweeters. Having googled it and read through other suggestions on here, I have unplugged all cables apart from the power lead.

Obviously when previously going through my interface, turning the gain up turned the hiss up. With all cables unplugged (no XLRs in) and just power cables, the hiss is obviously uniform. However, what worries me slightly is that to my ear, the hiss on one of the monitors is more slightly more accute then the other. It is subtle, but there.

I would say I can hear the hiss from both at a metre distance, faintly at 2 metres. Bare in mind this is in quite a noisy room anyway with traffic noise outside.

I don't really know what to do. Obviously this isn't ideal, and as I paid so much for this product I want to ensure I have the perfect pair. But I have no way of knowing if this is normal, and for all I know sending them through the post again or receiving another might cause more problems? I would say that the hiss almost fatigues your ear as background noise, but this could possibly be the same for all monitors of this type. I've not previously been using something of this quality. The hiss is definitely louder in one than the other, but it is a subtle difference.

Thoughts on whether I should return them or not are highly appreciated, or anything else I can try to establish whether this is normal. As I say, I am new to this - my knowledge comes from reading other forum posts about this hiss.

Many thanks.

Re: 8040B Hiss - Should I return them?

Additional Info: As I said, I have already tried unplugging all cables but the power leads, however incase it helps - when going through my interface, even with the gains turned down to nothing, the hiss is far louder. I realise that this is a separate point and probably just an additional issue caused by the interface, but I thought I had better mention it!
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi there,

Obviously if the hiss becomes louder when you plug in the signal cables, it's clear that the noise comes from the interface and the speakers are just reproducing it. Simple solution is to get a better interface with better S/N ratio.

With the signal cables disconnected, background noise level you describe sounds normal, and also slight variation between different units is normal. I don't see a reason or qualification for a replacement.

Many thanks for your reply, Ilkka, I appreciate it and your time.

Yes, completely agree about the interface, as I put originally. Not really bothered about that, as that part of it is no fault with the monitors themselves.
The hiss from the monitors when they have no other cables aside from the power plugged in is what is worrying me. I see in other forum posts about the same issue, you've commented that you shouldn't be able to hear the hiss more than a few centimeters away (and a metre away is said in another post). I can hear it clearly at 2 metres distance and beyond - it is very audible, more from one than the other. This is the only aspect that is worrying me as I find it quite fatiguing in its volume (and that's with no interface or cables connected). I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Hi there,

Subjective qualifications are always very difficult to compare, is there any way you could objectify this noise, for example by recording it?

Earlier you said you can faintly hear it at 2 meters, but now you wrote you can clearly hear it at 2 meter distance and beyond?
nicolachel, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 12 Join Date: 3/25/15 Recent Posts
What I have noticed with 8240 is that when using as arrived they do emit a fairly noticeable hissing sound (at around 1m away, analog input connected, nothing is playing) which actually bothers me.

However after running through autoCal using GLM, they became a lot quiter and I have to be very close to the tweeter (like 15cm) to hear any hiss at all(same analog input, same cables connected).

Not sure why this might be the case or is this expected at all though (Maybe Ilkka could share the answers for those questions?).

But 8240 is similar to 8040 in all other aspects that you liked so you might want to look into taking another plunge ;)

Hi,

8240 and 8040 are quite different when it comes to their internal signal processing. 8040 is pure analogue electronics while 8240 belongs to our first generation DSP products. There is a difference in background noise levels between these models due to this. The AutoCal calibration itself does not change the noise level but if one uses the GLM main fader to attenuate the speaker's level/sensitivity, this will naturally also lower the noise level. I am suspecting this is the phenomenon you noticed.