Message Boards

Using 8020A in Mexico, voltage question

martin-de-torcy, modified 6 Years ago.

Using 8020A in Mexico, voltage question

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 4/1/15 Recent Posts
Hello,

I am in Mexico with my 8020A, bought in France.
This speaker are made to work on the french 230v. Actually, they also work with the mexican 110V, but with a ground hum.
I have to purchase a 110-220v converter, but I can't buy it right now...
Until I find this converter, if I use my 8020 on 110v, does it will cause any damage?
Is their any others sound quality loss than this ground hum?

Thanks for your help.
Bye

Martin
markus-kahelin, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Using 8020A in Mexico, voltage question

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts
Hi Martin!

It is always suggested to use the products only with the specified mains voltage. There is a serious risk of damage to the electronics, if used differently. You have the right solution in mind, by using the 110-220V converting transformer. Please ensure that you have big enough VA rating for the power output on the transformer, for 8020A pair it should be at least 300VA.

Best Regards, Markus
Genelec Support
eddywaugh, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/14/17 Recent Posts
hi im going to Japan soon and I'm looking for voltage converters, when you say max VA rating is that the same as max Watts? would this be below spec ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLTAGE-CONVE ... Swqu9VMD7e

I guess im looking for "step up" transformers right? Will there be a chance of ground loop problems from poor quality transformers? I need it to be portable really. Thanks for any help you can give!
eddywaugh, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/14/17 Recent Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Transfor ... Sw1DtXGXz4

would this be suitable?

Step Up Voltage Transformer Converter with On/Off Button

From 110V To 220V

Max Power 300W

Transformer Type : Step Down

Input : 110V

Output : 220V

Power Capacity : Max 300W

Frequency : 60Hz
jani-oksanen, modified 4 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 447 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts
hi im going to Japan soon and I'm looking for voltage converters, when you say max VA rating is that the same as max Watts? would this be below spec ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLTAGE-CONVE ... Swqu9VMD7e

I guess im looking for "step up" transformers right? Will there be a chance of ground loop problems from poor quality transformers? I need it to be portable really. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi Eddy,

What monitors do you have, and what voltage? If your monitors are 230V, you will need step up converter so you can use them in Japan(100V). In the converters you linked there is not mentioned Sinewave in the description and therefore I can't recommend those.

Please try to find one with Sinewave and 3x more Watts than the monitor can provide. If you have to travel alot, it would be most convenient to take a look at our latest products, which works with universal voltages and doesn't need any voltage converters. These models work with universal voltage as example: 8010,8320,8330,8340,8350.