Message Boards

8330 listening tests

folan, modified 6 Years ago.

8330 listening tests

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
Hi Steve,

I decided to open a new thread for 8330’s since we were hi-jacking operators original thread.

So, I don’t know if you have seen my last question (link below)…. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1599&start=20

On your last response you said....

As i have said many times, the room is the biggest contributor to perceived sound quality. I have had a few colleagues listen, some preferred the 8240's some the 8330's.... We have a fairly narrow room so we had limited opportunities to place the speakers correctly, i also believe it is our room that was the major contributor to these findings, i have demonstrated 8240's and 8250's for many years and this magnitude of difference has never been present before... We demonstrate our speakers close to the front wall, due to the smaller front baffle of the 8240 and smaller LF driver, the 40's are omni-directional to higher LF frequencies than the 50's, so this may be creating the difference i hear....

So, as i said i'm still getting used to how the speakers are performing, any way you look at it, the 8330 brings the advantages of high quality auto calibration to an even bigger audience, along with incredible accuracy, low distortion and reliability.

In room the 40's extend 10Hz lower than the 30's, the 30 bass is not weak it extends to 40Hz in room, but in a direct A-B comparison it sounds and feels weaker, but then again, the LF performance of the 8240 has always been exceptional for a compact speaker.

….so I’m asking again.

Is your room treated? If it’s not, or not so well, then I conclude that the 8240 is masking the midrange because of it’s the extended LF response. Correct?
If yes, shouldn’t the DSP of 8240 compensate “more” the LF response and sound more balanced and closer to the more mid-forward 8330?

My room is not so well treated and I believe is contributing badly with my 8040’s. I want to sell them and possibly replace them with 8240’s or 8330’s.

I’m just trying to figure out which model might be more adequate for my room. Having more LF is a BIG PLUS for critical adjustments, but if the DSP can’t handle the possible masking from room interaction I guess it’s better to go with smaller drivers, in this case 8330.

What do you think?
markus-kahelin, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8330 listening tests

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts
Hi!

Some points as a general reply from the Genelec factory to this very valid topic. The main benefit of Genelec Smart Active Monitoring technology and the AutoCal automatic calibration comes from the room-loudspeaker interaction. AutoCal can efficiently and accurately remove energy from the frequencies that are boosted by the room acoustics. This results with less masking and increased accuracy for the low and mid range. Genelec GLM software allows you also to apply manual, fine tuning controls, after the automatic calibration. This can be done to tailor the listening and frequency balance to suit the user preference. Quite often we have found that in a moderate sized room, the low frequency extension is also better after calibration, and you can hear more of the very lowest end of the frequency range.

So if you prefer as much as possible of the well controlled and articulated low end, 8240 would be my proposal for you.

Best Regars, Markus
Genelec Support
markus-kahelin, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8330 listening tests

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts