Message Boards

Sub Woofer Selection

alexmorgan, modified 6 Years ago.

Sub Woofer Selection

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 3/16/15 Recent Posts
Hi there,

I've had a pair of 8030A for a few years and considering I focus on quite bass heavy music I've decided I need to add a sub to my setup. I have a couple of questions about matching a sub for my home studio as it seems your selection guide has been removed from the learning centre?

- It seems the 5051A would have been a good choice in terms of size and my budget and although it only came out a couple of years ago it appears it has already been discontinued. Why is this and is there a replacement product due?

- As I have 8030A and just interested in the reasoning behind the differences between the 7060A and B? considering I could get a 7060A second hand for less than half of a new unit what benefits would saving for a 7060B give me (other than a warranty)?

Having reviewed the respective data sheets I can see the 7060A has a higher tuning so the response isn't as low, but the SPL within the 30-50hz range where I want to add some extension is significantly higher than the 7060B. Really interested in the thinking behind this development in the product range? to my knowledge 20-30hz is rarely reproduced in most large sound systems (the company I work for runs Void Acoustics Incubus triple 21" subs to 29hz) and most DAW and digital sound cards cut at 20hz so why the 19hz tuning? Do cinema and home theatre systems even go this low?

Many thanks!

Alex
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Sub Woofer Selection

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi there,

I've had a pair of 8030A for a few years and considering I focus on quite bass heavy music I've decided I need to add a sub to my setup. I have a couple of questions about matching a sub for my home studio as it seems your selection guide has been removed from the learning centre?

Hi, you can still find it here: http://www.genelec.fi/tuotetuki/speaker ... ion-guide/

- It seems the 5051A would have been a good choice in terms of size and my budget and although it only came out a couple of years ago it appears it has already been discontinued. Why is this and is there a replacement product due?

5051A has been replaced by F Two model which is identical to it: http://www.genelec.com/products/f-two/

- As I have 8030A and just interested in the reasoning behind the differences between the 7060A and B? considering I could get a 7060A second hand for less than half of a new unit what benefits would saving for a 7060B give me (other than a warranty)?

Having reviewed the respective data sheets I can see the 7060A has a higher tuning so the response isn't as low, but the SPL within the 30-50hz range where I want to add some extension is significantly higher than the 7060B. Really interested in the thinking behind this development in the product range? to my knowledge 20-30hz is rarely reproduced in most large sound systems (the company I work for runs Void Acoustics Incubus triple 21" subs to 29hz) and most DAW and digital sound cards cut at 20hz so why the 19hz tuning? Do cinema and home theatre systems even go this low?

The major differences between the A and B revision are the tuning frequency and the maximum SPL capability. Requirement for 19 Hz extension actually came from the customers, more accurately broadcasting industry. There is also a very high push towards deeper extension in cinema and home theatre environments.