Message Boards

Thomas Jouanjean opinion about Genelec speakers

folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Thomas Jouanjean opinion about Genelec speakers

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
I was quite shocked today when I read that Thomas Jouanjean finds Genelec speakers aggressive and quite distorted. Thomas Jouanjean (Northward Acoustics) is considered one of the best studio designers worldwide if not the best. You can read his opinion on post 19, I’m speechless!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio- ... st10642847
mb-genelec, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Thomas Jouanjean opinion about Genelec speakers

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 5/21/13 Recent Posts
.. well, if you continue to read, I found that his opinion is not so negative. And well.. personal taste is certainly also a point. At least some of the brands mentioned are probably somewhat more round sounding (i.e. less aggresive ?), as least what I remember from ATC. But again, one should probably compare also the speakers with respect to the price. So I wouldn't worry :-)
folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Actually I think his opinion is confusing as he saying that he respects the knowledge of Genelec engineers but not Genelec speakers as he finds them aggressive and distorted.

I count his opinion but I don’t agree with him either.
northward, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/6/15 Recent Posts
Hi Folan,

Don't be shocked!

If they work for you, they work for you. What I think doesn't matter.

They certainly are good speakers. But like any other speaker brand, they have their issues.

There's always a compromise somewhere in a speaker design. If you want factor 'A' to perform better, then factor 'B' will suffer. And there are also compromises made when it comes to meeting production costs targets or size requirements. These compromises will affect performance in a way you may or may not like.

In the end, it's about how well your work translates and how long you can work on them every day.
folan, modified 5 Years ago.

Hi Folan,

Don't be shocked!

If they work for you, they work for you. What I think doesn't matter.

They certainly are good speakers. But like any other speaker brand, they have their issues.

There's always a compromise somewhere in a speaker design. If you want factor 'A' to perform better, then factor 'B' will suffer. And there are also compromises made when it comes to meeting production costs targets or size requirements. These compromises will affect performance in a way you may or may not like.

In the end, it's about how well your work translates and how long you can work on them every day.

Wow! Wasn’t expecting to see a respond from you in this forum Thomas, quite surprised!

Yes, I’m aware that there is always a compromise in loudspeaker design, in your opinion what’s the compromise in Genelec speakers?
Have you worked with 1000 or 8000 series? Something particular that you don’t like?
northward, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/6/15 Recent Posts

Wow! Wasn’t expecting to see a respond from you in this forum Thomas, quite surprised!

Yes, I’m aware that there is always a compromise in loudspeaker design, in your opinion what’s the compromise in Genelec speakers?
Have you worked with 1000 or 8000 series? Something particular that you don’t like?

I read forums when traveling. :)

The large in-wall models I installed were very hard sounding and fatiguing. Same with smaller 1037. Sounds hard and LF is quite distorted compared to other brands.

8000 series just sound dull to me, lacking midrange definition. And still hard.

I think they should work on designing better drivers and amps instead of pushing DSP room correction. I recently heard some of these. The coloring is not subtle and inevitable.

In good room, DSP is useless. Only good drivers and good amps matter. Focus on that first.

Now, I do still believe Genelec is a good company. With good engineers. Just that their focus is maybe not where it should be.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your comments but I think it would have been only fair to state that you are in cooperation with one of our competitors which puts you and your comments on us in a very strange and biased light.

I would also encourage you to read our forum rules and restrain yourself from such posts in our Genelec Community, thank you!

http://www.community.genelec.com/forum-rules/

This topic is now locked.