Message Boards

8040A power up problem

klinkenstecker, modified 6 Years ago.

8040A power up problem

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/11/15 Recent Posts
Hello Genelec community,

i have a problem with one of my 8040s in a 5.1-setup. In about 80-90% it happens, that after power up only the tweeter is active and the woofer remains silent (or everything is fine for a few seconds and then the woofer fades out and I hear only high frequencies).
When I switch the speaker off and on again (in rare cases this becomes necessary 2 times) everything works fine again and remains stable.

Is this a known problem or is it clear what causes it? Would a recalibration be necessary after the repair? I want to avoid to send the speaker to the distributor if I could fix the problem myself. The reason is, it takes quite some time to get it back and after calling them they can't even roughly estimate how much the repair would cost. Can anyone of you provide some hints, what to check or what has to be replaced to get the unit back to normal behaviour? Btw, my father is an electronics expert and could assist if soldering is required.

Thank you very much in advance!
Robert
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8040A power up problem

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

It is not a known problem and I do not recommend any sort of service performed by yourself. The only correct way is to contact your local distributor for a service request.
klinkenstecker, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8040A power up problem

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/11/15 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka

OK, then I will give it a try and let them look for what is wrong with it... let's see how long it will take them and how much they will charge for it. Nevertheless, any idea what might be the reason for this behaviour?

Thanks! :)
Robert