Message Boards

Upgraded from 6010a/5040 to 8040b - subwoofer?

lwr999, modified 6 Years ago.

Upgraded from 6010a/5040 to 8040b - subwoofer?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 2/10/15 Recent Posts
Love my Genelecs

Use them only for listening to music in my office with FLAC and streaming sources like TIDAL. I'm not a producer, mixer or anything fancy. Just a humble programmer making his way in the world...

I loved my 6010s and 5040 combo, and I'm enjoying the upgrade to the 8040b

I do feel that I might be missing some of the "warmth and feeling" of the 5040 subwoofer. I love the sound of the 8040s, but I feel that I am too easily able to locate the sound. With the 6010/5040 combo the sound filled the area I was working with.

It's a small room, 4.5m by 4.5m and my speaker sit on a desk in the middle of the room 1.4m apart in a nearfield config.

Would adding a 7060b subwoofer bring more "warmth and feeling", or am I still adjusting to what the 8040b offer?

Would the sub be overkill in the small room or would it add something?

The advice might be to demo. But I'm not a demo kind of guy... would prefer an objective view on whether adding the sub will improve the soundstage.

If it helps, I listen mainly to jazz - some modern stuff with bass extension, but nothing super low

Thanks!
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Upgraded from 6010a/5040 to 8040b - subwoofer?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
In a small room, maybe consider adding the new 7350. Although it wont have the output of the 7060, it will extend your LF performance, but the big thing is to be able co calibrate the sub to the environment.

Thanks Steve - I couldn't easily track down a 7350 ... an I think it might be out of my price range.

I bought a 7060b subwoofer ... it's sitting under my desk. Just waiting for the XLR cables to turn up from Amazon.

I'm a bit bewildered by the range of options. And wondering if they change the settings on my 8040b's. For example, without the subwoofer, I had the nearfield and desktop switches set to ON on my 8040s - wondering if I should return them to OFF now that the subwoofer is in the mix

Confused. But GOOD confused. :D

Thanks Steve - I couldn't easily track down a 7350 ... an I think it might be out of my price range.

I bought a 7060b subwoofer ... it's sitting under my desk. Just waiting for the XLR cables to turn up from Amazon.

I'm a bit bewildered by the range of options. And wondering if they change the settings on my 8040b's. For example, without the subwoofer, I had the nearfield and desktop switches set to ON on my 8040s - wondering if I should return them to OFF now that the subwoofer is in the mix

Confused. But GOOD confused. :D
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Congrats on the 7060.

The 7060 has an 85Hz crossover, this means that it high passes frequencies above 85Hz out to the 8040's. You will see an LFE bandwidth switch, the key term here is LFE, it only changes the Low pass for the LFE channel, it doesn't change anything about the bass management for the main speakers.

The key adjustments you need to work on are.... Level 1st, then Phase, then filters. As you are listening to music rather than producing, you have a lot more flexibility in your final settings as your main objective is enjoying your music.

The phase control is very important, if you don't have any calibration test equipment, the easiest way to set your phase is to use an SPL meter. It doesn't matter which 8040 you use to set the phase, but only use 1, turn the other one off. Turn the test tone dip switch to on, the sub has an 85Hz generator built in. Sitting at your listening position, document the spl of 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees. Set the spl meter to "C" weighting and SLOW response. You will it is very hard to tell which is the loudest signal (in-phase) so look for the lowest, this is the out of phase setting, all you need to do is then invert the measurement.... add 180 to the out of phase setting to define the in-phase setting, so if 90 is the lowest, then 270 is in phase etc.

If you move the sub, then the phase will have to be reset, but we're talking a meter or more...

Your dip switches on the 8040's should remain as they are, the 7060 has a bypass function, you can wire a switch up to a 1/4" jack to short the tip and sleeve, this will allow you to listen with or without the sub.

Have fun and experiment...

So... it's definitely worth adding the 7060b to the 8040 pair!

In my layman thinking, I've gone from wonderfully clear sound I can hear to wonderfully clear sound I can hear AND feel. It's also much more relaxing to listen to.

Set the phase per Steve's guidance (and the quick reference chart) and very happy with the results.

I'm get a bit of bass boom in various parts of the room, but in the listening position it is perfect ... and I only ever listen from my desk so I'm OK with that.

Thanks!