Message Boards

new Genelec 8330 Monitors GLM 2.0 and Volume Knob problems

mikehunter, modified 6 Years ago.

new Genelec 8330 Monitors GLM 2.0 and Volume Knob problems

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 12/18/14 Recent Posts
Hello,
i just bought the Genelec 8330 pair with the GLM 2.0 Measurement Tools a few Days ago.
Setup and first Measurement worked good so far, but i got a few problems / questions regarding the GLM 2.0 Software.

1) The Software acts a little strange while opening. if i start / doubleclick the "GLMv2" icon from my desktop (latest Windows 8.1) its not opening, but a little tab shows in the Windows taskbar. further a leftclick on the tab does not bring up the programmwindow. You have to rightclick that tab, than you can choose "last opened" "xxxxx.sam" file and finally the regual GLM 2.0 screens opens. Also its not possible to close the GLM Programm, that Tab always stays in the Taskbar??

2) the Hardware Volume-Controller that came with the Pack does not work after booting up the System.
i always have to start the GLMv2 Software before the Controller knob will want to work. This is interesting,
because if i boot under MAC-OSX the Volume Controller works perfect right away, without any GLM / Genelec
Software on the Mac?

3) Its not possible for me to turn the Volume down at Zero with the Volume Controller. I always hear very little
Sound even if the knob is turned completely to the left. it sounds more like "DIM"

are these known Problems? Any Solutions to this? i also re-installed the complete Software
today with the latest GLM Software Version from 19.01.2015

Thanks in advance,
Mike
folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: new Genelec 8330 Monitors GLM 2.0 and Volume Knob proble

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
Hello mike,

Sorry to hear about your problems, I’ll keep my eye on this thread. However, I’m very interesting about 8330’s or 8240’s and I’m looking for user reviews.

I own a pair of 8040’s but after a comparison test I did with 1030A I have my doubts about 8040’s. But maybe is my room that’s causing the problems, that’s why I’m looking for the Genelec DSP models right now. Please share your sound experience with 8330 if you like.

Cheers!

Hi Folan, ok - here is my little Review about the new Genelec 8320 / Genelec 8330 Speakers:

first of all, ive had a couple of different speakers in the last 15 years, like from Alesis, Roland, M-Audio, Adams, Genelec (the Adams i still use as second pair)

Before i got the new Genelecs i used the 8020 for some time and liked the Sound very much, but a big problem here
always was my room acoustics and limited space for proper treatment so i used the IK Multimedia ARC2 Software for Measurement in combination with the 8020 and that worked really well... or lets say "better than expected"

A few weeks ago i replaced the 8020 with the new 8320 Model. Differences are very little compared to the 8020, so i decided to switch over to the bigger 8330 model which i have now. The bass / low end is noticeable better than the 8320, also i have them connected now completely digital to my Audio Interface.

About Measurement: everything worked fine so far.. the sound in my problematic room is much better (120-130hz), same with the ARC2 System i had used before. After some hours of working with them i´m always shocked, when i bypass the Measurement and hear how dull and boomy the speakers sound in my room without the calibration.
Compared with my Adam A5 Speakers which i have here now for more than 5 Years i can say that the Genelec sound more detailed and precise, especially in the mids.

the minus - like mentioned in post#1 i think is the software, also that there is no Mac GLM2.0 available at Productlaunch. but i think these bugs will be fixed very soon and i hope Ilkka can help with my problems.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,
i just bought the Genelec 8330 pair with the GLM 2.0 Measurement Tools a few Days ago.
Setup and first Measurement worked good so far, but i got a few problems / questions regarding the GLM 2.0 Software.

Hi Mike,

1. We haven’t seen this happened with our Windows 8.1 testing environment. When this happens, what happen if you remove the USB cable and reconnect it? Does GLM window come visible?

2. This is known issue with Windows 8. Operation system will put USB devices to the suspended mode when those are not used. You need to change the settings as follows.

From control panel >Power options>choose high performance, then select Change Plan Settings (in blue)
From this screen select Change Advanced Power Settings (in blue)
Scroll down (open with+)
USB selective suspend (open with +)
Set both to disable.

3. Are you using AES/EBU digital or high level analog signal? At the moment the HW volume controller doesn't drop level enough if the signal level is very high.

Hei Ilkka,

thanks for you answer....

1) i tried to unplug the little Box / USB Cable. The GLM Software then opens as it should.
if i reconnect the Box, same bug as before.. i made a screenshot for you ---->>
http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads ... 6ou4av.jpg

2) i followed the steps, but no luck with that. you wrote "Set both to disable" at the USB selective suspend,
but i can only disable one Setting. made a screenshot here too ----->
http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/view/usb ... ngrj8e.jpg
I tried rebooting the system a few times, but still - volume controller will only want to start after i started the
GLM Software

3) i use AES/EBU digital connection - bought a 1m RCA -> XLR Cable which works without problems so far.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Before i got the new Genelecs i used the 8020 for some time and liked the Sound very much, but a big problem here
always was my room acoustics and limited space for proper treatment so i used the IK Multimedia ARC2 Software for Measurement in combination with the 8020 and that worked really well... or lets say "better than expected

Hello Mike and thank you for the reply. It’s very nice to hear that 8330 are making you happy!
Since you already have used IK Multimedia ARC2 you believe there’s a huge difference between the IK software and the DSP of Genelec?

About Measurement: everything worked fine so far.. the sound in my problematic room is much better (120-130hz), same with the ARC2 System i had used before. After some hours of working with them i´m always shocked, when i bypass the Measurement and hear how dull and boomy the speakers sound in my room without the calibration.

Are you sure you only have problems in 130-130Hz? usually the problems are in lower region.

Compared with my Adam A5 Speakers which i have here now for more than 5 Years i can say that the Genelec sound more detailed and precise, especially in the mids.

Excellent!

Hello Mike and thank you for the reply. It’s very nice to hear that 8330 are making you happy!
Since you already have used IK Multimedia ARC2 you believe there’s a huge difference between the IK software and the DSP of Genelec?

Are you sure you only have problems in 130-130Hz? usually the problems are in lower region.

Hello Folan,
Yes, my peaks are between 120 and 133hz - both GLM and ARC2 have similar results there.

I need more tests to compare GLM vs ARC2 but my first impressions are, that i like the ARC2
a (tiny) little better. This is indeed very subjective because i was used to work with the ARC2 ..
Other than the ARC1 the newer V2 got very good critics and reviews. The other side is,
ARC2 is only available as VST plugin and always has to run in the background - plus - it sucks up some
CPU Power.. for example, i have the latest Mac Pro Computer here which is a Performance-Monster
and running ARC2 eats 3-5 % percent of the overall CPU power... i can imagine on other PCs or Mobile
Laptops it will be much more... nobody knows what and how many algorithm are running in the background
but i think since its based on Audyseey - they know what they re doing.
i´ll stay with the GLM Measurement, because its easy to setup, needs no cpu performance and is
optimized for their own speakers..

Hei Ilkka,

1) i tried to unplug the little Box / USB Cable. The GLM Software then opens as it should.

2) i followed the steps, but no luck with that. you wrote "Set both to disable" at the USB selective suspend,
I tried rebooting the system a few times, but still - volume controller will only want to start after i started the
GLM Software

3) i use AES/EBU digital connection - bought a 1m RCA -> XLR Cable which works without problems so far.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Any News on This? ;-(

Any News on This? ;-(

Hi Mike,

I have sent you private message on 26th of January on this matter, please see it. :)

Any News on This? ;-(

Hi Mike,

I have sent you private message on 26th of January on this matter, please see it. :)

Ups, sorry - i havent recognized Private Messages at all - there wasn´t a notification mail or Pop-up window.
I will check out the workaround ASAP and get back to you via PM. Thank you...

i updated to the lastest GLM V2.02 -
but i have to say that there are more and new problems with digital AES Connection:

1) after windows boot now the External Potentiometer doesnt work at all again
(do i have to re-do the registry-fix manually like in v2.01?)
2) still the bug, that if you click the GLM2 icon, no GLM-Window opens, but a tab in the taskbar
3) if i open the GLM program from the taskbar-window i can see for a short moment a "volume fader" that turns within a second into the External Potentionmeter-wheel with a GUI graphic error.. you can see 2 vertical lines. (a leftover from the fader graphic?) theses lines stay on the screen... very strange.
4) the Hardware Potentiometer now goes down to -120db. if you turn down the volume its much better than before but still, you can hear very quietly a signal in the background, so its not completely zero.
5) regarding to 4) if you close the GLM Window, these settings seem to be gone.. for example ... turning down the volume the sound is only Dimmed... its like it goes only to -100db. (same as in V2.01) if i open the GLM window again, i can go to -120db again..
6) Auto-Standby with digital AES connection still not working ;-((

at all i have to say i like my new Genelecs BUT i´m very disappointed with the GLM Software,
eveything looks *very* beta... ;-(
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having problems, i have just spent a few hours setting up a pair of 8330's & 8240's to a GLM 2.0.2 network and everything is working fine. I have the wired volume control connected, GLM is remembering all its settings, i have opened GLM from the desktop icon and from my setup file, it opens the last group and at the last volume setting. I have just restarted my PC and tried everything again and still no issues, the only thing i don't like is that you have to click to close the popup windows when calibration is complete.. Otherwise everything is feeling very fluid and fast.

I'm using Windows 7 pro, service pack 1 on a Toshiba i7-3630 laptop with 12GB RAM...

Hello mikehunter,

1. Did you connect the network adapter into a different USB port? GLM update won’t cause registry changes for USB power management.
2. We still have not seen this. We will follow this issue.
3. This can be reproduced, the GUI is not fully updated. Lines will be removed if you re-plug the volume potentiometer. This will be investigated and fixed in the next release.
4. When you hear the audio, do you put your ear next to the monitor? As we said earlier, to get the potentiometer to attenuate fully that kind of audio signal, a firmware update for the adapter is needed.
5. The extra attenuation with GLM was added, that’s why you can set -120dB with GLM. As said, the firmware update for the adapter is needed.
6. Monitors will detect voltage in AES/EBU input and won’t sleep. To get monitor to sleep, following conditions must be true:
-no analog signal detected
-no voltage in AES/EBU input
-no GLM network messages detected

Sorry to hear that you are having problems, i have just spent a few hours setting up a pair of 8330's & 8240's to a GLM 2.0.2 network and everything is working fine.
I'm using Windows 7 pro, service pack 1 on a Toshiba i7-3630 laptop with 12GB RAM...

Hello 1038,
thanks for the info.
have you setup the Monitors with digital or analog connection?
my problems are only with the digital signal-path to the speaker, also i´m
using the latest Windows 8.1 64bit Version
greets, mike

Hi Mike,

I'm running analog, but today i'll setup an AES/EBU group, though from a control point of view i can't see it making a difference.

I have a windows 8.1 system at home, so next week i'll bring a pair home and see what happens for you.

From Ilkka's post it seems Genelec have a handle on some of your issues, but to be honest, the software feels really good to use, it does things differently to GLM 1.X which i have been using for 9 years, so whilst V2 is so new, it will take time to adjust, but running a few people through it yesterday, it is much easier to get a pair of speakers up and running very quickly compared to the rapid or manual cabling wizzard of V1.

Hi Mike,

I have spent some time this morning testing GLM 2, i have created an additional 8330 AES/EBU group. I'm not running any AES signal into the speakers, buy this wont make any difference as the control and audio paths are independent.

I have tried everything to trip GLM up, but through restarts, opening via icon or system file, it does everything as it should.

The only thing i could replicate is the 2 vertical lines from the volume control when the wired volume control was plugged in, at restart, simply replugging the wired controller cleared the screen.

So at least on my Windows install everything is as it should be. I hope this restores some of your faith in the software...

Hei Ilkka,

i made a short video to visualize the problem better with the GLM Program start. Also you can see that
i´m not able to close the program-tab. i use Windows 8.1 pro 64bit.
video ---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0em02wkruras ... t.mov?dl=0

i switched to another USB-Port and now the external potentiometer is again working without problems after boot.

Is the Adapter-Firmware update planned anytime soon for the 100db/120db volume thing?

AES Auto standby: i think i´m giving up on this, because i can´t say if my Steinberg UR28m has voltage on the
spdif-output even if there is no signal. I use a normal spdif -> xlr cable which works fine so far.

thanks in advance,
greets mike

Hei Ilkka,

i made a short video to visualize the problem better with the GLM Program start. Also you can see that
i´m not able to close the program-tab. i use Windows 8.1 pro 64bit.
video ---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0em02wkruras ... t.mov?dl=0

We understand the problem but we haven't been able to reproduce it on any Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit machine we have here.

Is the Adapter-Firmware update planned anytime soon for the 100db/120db volume thing?

Update should be available within two weeks.

AES Auto standby: i think i´m giving up on this, because i can´t say if my Steinberg UR28m has voltage on the
spdif-output even if there is no signal. I use a normal spdif -> xlr cable which works fine so far.

Yes there is and that is how devices work in digital domain (silence is signal, too). ISS activates only after you have powered down the digital signal source device. This is how it is designed to work.
anttil, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 9/4/13 Recent Posts
I'm having the following problem after computer (Win7 pro) restart: the monitors disappear from GLM. They still produce music/sound at the volume level that was set before restart, but GLM has no control over the monitors. I tried to turn off and on the speakers which followed them playing on full volume ( :shock: ) Luckily I kinda knew it could happen, so I set the volume level down from computer before speaker "reboot". Still they did not appear on GLM and only way to recover is to turn off both computer and monitors and then on again.

Hi anttil,

A few questions:

1) When speakers are not showing up, what does the adapter LED show?

2) Does the adapter show up online in GLM while this happens?

3) If you restart GLM, do the speakers show up?

4) If you unplug and replug the adapter, do the speakers show up?
anttil, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 9/4/13 Recent Posts
Hi anttil,

A few questions:

1) When speakers are not showing up, what does the adapter LED show?

2) Does the adapter show up online in GLM while this happens?

3) If you restart GLM, do the speakers show up?

4) If you unplug and replug the adapter, do the speakers show up?

Hi Ilkka,

1) The led in adapter remains lit/green

2) Adapter is online: GLM shows the dB-level and all controls (e.g. AutoCal bypass and volume) are available but have no effect on the speakers

3) Problem persists after GLM restart

4) Unplugging and reconnecting the adapter seems to fix the problem :)

I attached a screenshot below of GLM interface when the speakers are "lost". The speakers are connected to source (=computer) via AES/EBU

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are soon releasing a firmware update for the network adapter which will correct this problem.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems, i have just spent a few hours setting up a pair of 8330's & 8240's to a GLM 2.0.2 network and everything is working fine.

Hi 1038, since you've spend some time with 8330's can you please share your experience with them? Do they sound different to 8240? I think they have new designed amps so maybe they sound better from the previous 8200 series.

Hi Folan,

I have spent a little time with the 8330's, they sound (in our room) quite different to the 8240's, as a sanity check i brought in a pair of 8250's to also compare.

The mid range was different to the 8240's, the 8330's mid range was more forward than the 8240's rendering more detail, when comparing the 8330's to the 8250's the mid range was very similar, though obviously the 8250 had much more extension and scale.

The comparison was done all from within GLM 2.0.2.

I'm still trying to gather my thoughts, as to my conclusions, i think it is going to take a bit more time.. I think the interesting comparison will be the 8351 v 8260..... Though reading a few comments on the internet, the sound quality is very similar, with the nod still going to the 8260 due to it's larger size and extension.

So i think you could think of the 8300 series of a refinement, though in reality my feelings would have probably been the same if the new speakers were 8230's......

I have spent a little time with the 8330's, they sound (in our room) quite different to the 8240's, as a sanity check i brought in a pair of 8250's to also compare.

The mid range was different to the 8240's, the 8330's mid range was more forward than the 8240's rendering more detail, when comparing the 8330's to the 8250's the mid range was very similar

Hi Steve,

I don’t know if this is a good thing or bad. I do find my 8040’s a bit mid scooped and now your listening test reveals that 8240/8040 are scooped compared to 8330 and 8250. Could it be Genelec addressed-acknowledged some flaws in the frequency response of 8040-8240 and presenting now a refinement model?

What about the bass region in 8330’s, you believe it’s enough for critical bass adjustments or is it weak?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

PS, Maybe its better to open a new thread like a 8330 listening tests and share your experience there because we are hijacking operators thread right now.

Hi Folan,

the presentation was different, i would not say scooped.... Again all you need to do is look at the anechoic response..... There is no flaw in the frequency response, you seriously need to change your attitude, there are 1,000's of world class studios using 8040's and 8240's. The 8240's have been around since 2006, the 8040s longer, they have stood the test of time..

As i have said many times, the room is the biggest contributor to perceived sound quality. I have had a few colleagues listen, some preferred the 8240's some the 8330's.... We have a fairly narrow room so we had limited opportunities to place the speakers correctly, i also believe it is our room that was the major contributor to these findings, i have demonstrated 8240's and 8250's for many years and this magnitude of difference has never been present before... We demonstrate our speakers close to the front wall, due to the smaller front baffle of the 8240 and smaller LF driver, the 40's are omni-directional to higher LF frequencies than the 50's, so this may be creating the difference i hear....

So, as i said i'm still getting used to how the speakers are performing, any way you look at it, the 8330 brings the advantages of high quality auto calibration to an even bigger audience, along with incredible accuracy, low distortion and reliability.

In room the 40's extend 10Hz lower than the 30's, the 30 bass is not weak it extends to 40Hz in room, but in a direct A-B comparison it sounds and feels weaker, but then again, the LF performance of the 8240 has always been exceptional for a compact speaker.

I have had a few colleagues listen, some preferred the 8240's some the 8330's.... We have a fairly narrow room so we had limited opportunities to place the speakers correctly, i also believe it is our room that was the major contributor to these findings, i have demonstrated 8240's and 8250's for many years and this magnitude of difference has never been present before... We demonstrate our speakers close to the front wall, due to the smaller front baffle of the 8240 and smaller LF driver, the 40's are omni-directional to higher LF frequencies than the 50's, so this may be creating the difference i hear.

Hi Steve,

Is your room treated? If it’s not, or not so well, then I conclude that the 8240 is masking the midrange because of it’s the extended LF response. Correct?
If yes, shouldn’t the DSP of 8240 compensate “more” the LF response and sound more balanced and closer to the more mid-forward 8330?

My room is not so well treated and I believe is contributing badly with my 8040’s. I want to sell them and possibly replace them with 8240’s or 8330’s.

I’m just trying to figure out which model might be more adequate for my room. Having more LF is a BIG PLUS for critical adjustments, but if the DSP can’t handle the possible masking from room interaction I guess it’s better to go with smaller drivers, in this case 8330.

What do you think?
jantex, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 36 Join Date: 3/11/15 Recent Posts
1) The Software acts a little strange while opening. if i start / doubleclick the "GLMv2" icon from my desktop (latest Windows 8.1) its not opening, but a little tab shows in the Windows taskbar. further a leftclick on the tab does not bring up the programmwindow. You have to rightclick that tab, than you can choose "last opened" "xxxxx.sam" file and finally the regual GLM 2.0 screens opens. Also its not possible to close the GLM Programm, that Tab always stays in the Taskbar??

Has there been offered any solution to this issue? I am experiencing the same issue with my Windows 8.1 machine and GLM 2.03 that mikehunter started this thread with. I cannot open GLM2.0 unless I disconnect the adapter from the USB. But when it opens without adapter it hangs and I need to close it via Task manager. So I simply cannot get GLM2.0 to run on my machine and I would really like to use it to calibrate my precious speakers.
chakshu, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 43 Join Date: 2/10/14 Recent Posts
I'm still waiting of the Mac OS X version... Honestly. Hire someone else to do your software... I'm sorry for the harsh words but being without calibration since last summer this is starting to get ridiculous. Now I fear that even if it is released in April it might take months before it works. And this is just the basic functionality... I mean, I was expecting more with 2.0. Seriously.

any news on this and the adapter-firmware? or is it included in the GLM 2.0.3 update?
markus-kahelin, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts
limesoft, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 7/3/15 Recent Posts
Hei Ilkka,

GLM Software

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Any News on This? ;-(

Hi,

I have this problem after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Every time I exit GLM software volume control becomes unresponsive (seems the GLM hub is being turned off). I tried disabling USB selective suspend, uninstalling and re-installing GLM 2.0.4, different USB port, and even a powered USB hub plugged into my computer but with no luck
Any tips on how I can resolve this so the hub keeps power when the software is exited would be much appreciated, I don't want to have to keep GLM software open continuously to control the volume

Why don't you simply power the network adapter from an external power source rather than the computer
limesoft, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 7/3/15 Recent Posts
Why don't you simply power the network adapter from an external power source rather than the computer

Hi, thanks for the response.

I would power them from external source if there was an easy way to swap between different groups (I am using both digital and analog ins, and different listening zones), but the only way to do it is via the computer - when I need to do that, I run GLM software, make the change and exit (required for low power mode on the speakers when not in use), but the volume control would stop working then.

However, last night I tinkered with the Windows registration settings to force always on USB for the GLM adapter and now managed to get it working. I believe Genelec can update their GLM software to enable usb always on... It's not the end of the world but I think it's a missed opportunity not having onboard memory on the GLM adapter to save the groups and a button to swap between them, or a mobile app.