Message Boards

M040 or other monitor exclusively for hifi use?

auntybernie, modified 6 Years ago.

M040 or other monitor exclusively for hifi use?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 1/15/15 Recent Posts
I am considering going for two M040s and a DAC for my office. The source will be exclusively from PC, playing mostly FLAC files.

I can mount the monitors on stands at a six feet distance from where I sit. Does that make sense? Could of course bring them closer.

Would this be a good choice? Note that I will only use them for playing music. Read a review where the M040s were partnered with a BMC Puredac - very positive.

I am of course more than willing to listen to alternative suggestions.
anttil, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: M040 or other monitor exclusively for hifi use?

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 9/4/13 Recent Posts
With one months experience of the new 8330A Smart Active Monitors in similar use and setup, I would recommend them warmly. The advantage of having AutoCal in the system is huge, especially if you have acoustically "challenging" environment. Also you don't need separate DAC when connecting the speakers to PC, I use Yellowtec PUC2 as an AES/EBU interface in my system, and the digital to analog conversion is done in the speakers. Wired remote volume controller included in the system is also very handy.

Money-wise this is also more economical solution than the M040s with BMC Puredac.
auntybernie, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 1/15/15 Recent Posts
Thanks for your reply.

That is an interesting proposition that I will definitely consider.

The advantage of having an external DAC is that I can use it elsewhere if were to decide to do so. Then again, I have no experience with DACs so do not even know whether it will make a noticeable difference.

Were the monitors you mentioned only recently introduced? You say your set-up is similar to mine. I will have the monitors on stands in front of the desk, therefore at a distance of say two to three feet from the listening position.
folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
With one months experience of the new 8330A Smart Active Monitors in similar use and setup, I would recommend them warmly. The advantage of having AutoCal in the system is huge, especially if you have acoustically "challenging" environment.

Hi Anttil,

Can you give us a bit more details about 8330’s. I’m interested for these speakers and I’m seeking for user experience. Are you making-mixing music? What spekaers you had before 8030?

Cheers!

Hi Folan,

Haven't played or made music in last 14 years, I use the speakers just for my own entertainment :)

I upgraded from a pair of 6010A's and Audiolab M-DAC. During last year I auditioned G Four's (with 8240A's in mind which weren't available for home testing) and PSIAudio A14-M of which I actually liked quite a lot. Then I was about to pull the trigger on ME-Geithain RL 906's because of the coaxial design and positive reviews, even without listening to them first.

When Genelec released 8330A bundled with GLM 2.0 kit and 9130AP Volume Control it was an easy decision, since I could get rid of separate DAC and have AutoCal in the system, which would compensate a lot for bad acoustics and far-from-optimal positioning of the speakers. And I really do enjoy the articulated low-end that 8330A's are able to produce when calibrated. If you need to make any compromises in your listening room acoustically, I would definitely invest money to Genelecs with GLM or alternatively to separate room correction processor.

Thanks for your reply.

That is an interesting proposition that I will definitely consider.

The advantage of having an external DAC is that I can use it elsewhere if were to decide to do so. Then again, I have no experience with DACs so do not even know whether it will make a noticeable difference.

Were the monitors you mentioned only recently introduced? You say your set-up is similar to mine. I will have the monitors on stands in front of the desk, therefore at a distance of say two to three feet from the listening position.

Not sure about the advantage of an external DAC either, but I have to say that I haven't missed mine with this system. I have the speakers placed on computer table next to lcd screen, listening distance being roughly the same as yours would be. Far from optimal and AutoCal has attenuated 200Hz region approx 10dB(!) for both speakers. Not my final solution though, I'm planning to move to bigger apartment in some time and then get floor or tabletop stands for the speakers. One nice thing with these speakers are that they adapt to many situations ;)

And yes, 8330A's were introduced just few months ago