Message Boards

Tone Control Settings

rennz, modified 6 Years ago.

Tone Control Settings

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 1/12/15 Recent Posts
Hi,

I've just bought a new pair of 8040B's. My speakers are set-up 30cm from the back of the wall and 50cm from the side walls in a 120cm triangle, my room has bass traps in all four corners and is treated fairly well.

Can anyone suggest the tone control room settings?

I know people are going to say go with your ears but I'm used to hearing music out of my old KRK Rokit 8 G2's, which add a lot of colour to the sound (especially in the low end). So I put on a track I know really well, play it though my Genelec's with the recommended tone control settings (-4 bass roll-off and -4 bass tilt), but it doesn't sound like it has enough bass, am I hearing the true sound or taking out too much bass. I've tried a few different settings including leaving the tone controls flat (which sounded too bassy, probably due to my room) I'm a bit confused atm!

Also what should I set the input sensitivity too? I have it set to -6 and it's plenty loud enough, but does the input sensitivity effect the frequency cut off point?

Thanks

Aaron
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Tone Control Settings

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Congrats on the new 8040's

Leave the input sensitivity @ -6, it minimises the chance of you clipping your signal going into the speakers.

What are your walls constructed with? the more solid/dense the wall material the more energy is reflected, the more EQ is needed. If you never calibrated your old KRK's then the bass will sound light compared to what you are used to, i would suggest you simply live with the new sound for a week and let your ears adjust, it doesn't matter how the 8040's compare to your old reference, it's about how they convey the music.

If your walls are light internal gyprock/drywall then you could probably try only using 1 of the dip switches and see which works best for you. Listen to reverb in your tracks, it's amazing how it disappears when there is too much LF.

Are you using the speakers for recording? If so then it is important not to have too much room gain as your recordings will sound anemic when played back in other systems, if you are using them as only music playback speakers then simply adjust to your own taste.

Do you have any measurement equipment? You can download REW to measure what's going on, it is a free windows program, it will provide all the info you need. Do a google search, you will need an omni mic to measure your room, again google has all the info you will need.
rennz, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Tone Control Settings

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 1/12/15 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks a lot this is a great help.

Aaron :)