Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

2.1 setup for uncontrolled environments

epicedium, modified 7 Years ago.

2.1 setup for uncontrolled environments

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 12/1/14 Recent Posts
I need a 2.1 setup which can ideally limit the problems in completely untreated/ uncontrolled rooms. The post production will have to move several times to different locations, and the goal is to allow some 'loud' (non-headphone) work during this unstable time.

The rooms will be carpeted, 10m^2 to 25m^2. I will have no other control or treatment.

Budget is not a problem, but I think 8030 (or 8330) is about the largest that will suit the desks.

Will a 8330 SAM with the DSP sub give me something to work with?

Or is a sub (..even dsp) in a terrible room doomed to failure?

Should I admit defeat and save the money, get a 6010 or 8020 for limited 'loud' reproduction and accept that good headphones are the only way?

Kris
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: 2.1 setup for uncontrolled environments

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Kris,

I hope other DSP users will chime in because I might be little biased, but I would say our new Compact SAM 8330 & 7350 is your golden ticket. There is no reason to admit defeat, we have to fight back with all the power we have. :) There are hundreds of examples of small, untreated rooms which have been barely usable with a regular analogue monitoring setup, but have been turned into comfortable and reliable workspaces with our DSP monitors and subwoofers. And this was with the "old" DSP we had...now let's bring in the new kid in the block. 8-)

Try it, I am 100% certain you won't be disappointed.

Thanks- actually this is exactly what I hoped to hear.

I understand that no DSP can make the 'highly compromised' into 'perfection', but if we can move with this DSP system and re-calibrate, it gives us more project time with a system "closer to mastering quality", which has value for us.

I'm sold on the SAM 8330 set. I have a few weeks to decide on taking the 7350 or not, so if anyone has experience with how the DSP subs react to uncontrolled small rooms, I'd be interested to hear.

Many thanks!
Kris

I got the 8330 SAM set.

Toggling room correction on/off in our temporary, untreated room is very dramatic, and reveals within 1 second just how terrible the room is without it.

If you are considering a SAM set up and your current room is untreated (or, not treated by a serious professional with serious test equipment), I can confirm that the SAM correction is very dramatic, and I think would increase confidence in all but the very best environments.

Ilkka I have one more question- I don't get a lot of bass. Without correction, I get very unpleasant booming. With correction, the bass feels a little weak in the mix. If I take the 7350 sub, should I get a reasonable benefit, or is the DSP software giving me hints that the room can't take the bass at all?

Kris
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

Ilkka I have one more question- I don't get a lot of bass. Without correction, I get very unpleasant booming. With correction, the bass feels a little weak in the mix. If I take the 7350 sub, should I get a reasonable benefit, or is the DSP software giving me hints that the room can't take the bass at all?

Kris

Hi Kris,

It is a normal feeling when changing from uncalibrated to calibrated system, that there is not enough bass because your ears have got accustomed to the booming low end. Of course the default target curve in the AutoCal is reasonably flat too. Have you tried any custom settings yet? For example a -2 dB HF tilt at 150 Hz would give you little bit more bass. Additionally a low Q (0.5) -1-2 dB notch at 1500... 2500 Hz will take away little bit of the brightness. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Also check the frequency responses before and after the calibration, there you can easily see if your room has severe nulls which can't be cured by the DSP. A subwoofer will bring you more flexibility and LF for sure.