Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

iPad to speakers

froggy76, modified 8 Years ago.

iPad to speakers

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 9/9/14 Recent Posts
Hi all,,

My wife as a small studio and I will be putting some 8010 or 4010 for some background music.
Can she use her iPad to the speakers in order to play what s on the iPad or spotify? What cable would I need.
Regards
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: iPad to speakers

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Yes you can connect active speakers directly to her iPad using this kind of cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-3-5mm-Jac ... B003OSS71E

That cable is suitable for 8010 speakers.

Alternatively you could use an Apple Airport Express to use the wireless AirPlay function.
froggy76, modified 8 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 9/9/14 Recent Posts
Hi ikka,

Thank you very much for the advice and link.
That and the small 8010 will keep her happy.
Regards
mikeoscar, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: iPad/iMac to speakers

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/6/14 Recent Posts
I have a similar question. I have two 8020As and and a MacPro. Soon I'll have a new iMac. What do I need to connect the 8020s to the iMac. Alternatively, is there a popular interface unit I could source. I presently use an M-Audio Firewire 410 for this purpose but that isn't going to work on the new iMac. :cry: What do others use?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: iPad/iMac to speakers

I have a similar question. I have two 8020As and and a MacPro. Soon I'll have a new iMac. What do I need to connect the 8020s to the iMac. Alternatively, is there a popular interface unit I could source. I presently use an M-Audio Firewire 410 for this purpose but that isn't going to work on the new iMac. :cry: What do others use?

Hi,

What sort of audio connections are there on iMac? I am also sure there are lots of suitable audio interfaces available for Macs. Hopefully other users will chime in. :)
mikeoscar, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/6/14 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka, The iMac has the following, 4 x USB 3, 2 x Thunderbolt and 1 x Gigabit Ethernet ports plus a mini stereo headphone socket.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Hi Ilkka, The iMac has the following, 4 x USB 3, 2 x Thunderbolt and 1 x Gigabit Ethernet ports plus a mini stereo headphone socket.

You have multiple ways to connect your speakers. You can connect them directly through the headphone socket (use suitable cable I linked earlier) or use an external sound card (or nowadays fashionably called "DAC"). For more specific product recommendations - Google is your best friend. :)
harrymart, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 7/27/15 Recent Posts

As Ilkka said, it’s best to use DACs. The Arcam Airdac with Airplay is a good option in this area for easy wireless play. But let me warn you- my opinion might be biased because I own an Arcam Airdac lol. I bought it from Bay Bloor radio which is a store here in Toronto. Just try googling for specific product recommendations like Ilkka said.
richy, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 9/19/15 Recent Posts
Yes you should use kenable Pulse 3.5mm Jack Plug to 2 x XLR Plugs for this purpose
keyur, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 2/9/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

Yes you can connect active speakers directly to her iPad using this kind of cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-3-5mm-Jac ... B003OSS71E

That cable is suitable for 8010 speakers.

Hi Ilkka,

I am trying to make following two connections:
1) 3.5mm output from iPhone to my monitors and
2) RCA output from HT receiver to my monitors

I was considering buying the cable you recommended, till I came across following information:

Anyone that has attempted to use commonly available RCA-to-XLR adaptors to send an RCA line level output from a tape deck, CD or DVD player, into an XLR input of a pro-sound amplifier or mixer, knows the problem of levels being too low.

This occurs for two reasons:
“Line-level” signal level for consumer audio equipment is nominally -10BV (or -7.78dBU). However, “line-level” signal level for pro-sound equipment is +4dBU (or +1.78dBV). Simply put, pro audio gear is looking for a 11.78dB higher signal level.
XLR inputs are “balanced”, in that the positive and negative components of the signal are carried on two separate conductors (hence the use of 3-pin XLR connectors). When using standard RCA to XLR adaptors, the line level signal is supplied only to the positive pin. The negative pin is either tied to ground or left open. This absence of half of the component creates a -6dB signal deficit.
Conversely, when coming from the record output of a mixing console, or similar equipment, to send to a consumer tape deck, computer sound card or VCR, the line level is often far to hot to be usable.

More details are here:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/M ... -/555-8485
And here:
http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_MB15b.pdf

My question is about quality: which option would provide better quality for RCA-to-XLR and 3.5mm-to-XLR: DI box or the direct cable? Which one would be safer and not fry my equipment due to electrical mismatch?

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks!
Keyur
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Hi,

Neither option will fry your equipment because there is no electrical mismatch per say, only a level mismatch but even that does not typically cause any problems because our speakers have high enough sensitivity for consumer level devices and their signals. If you want to play safe and get the advantages of a balanced signal, then a DI box is the way to go.
keyur, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 2/9/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

Neither option will fry your equipment because there is no electrical mismatch per say, only a level mismatch but even that does not typically cause any problems because our speakers have high enough sensitivity for consumer level devices and their signals. If you want to play safe and get the advantages of a balanced signal, then a DI box is the way to go.

Thanks Ilkka!
dixita, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 4/4/17 Recent Posts
HEllo.. i want to know that , What sort of audio connections are there on iMac?