Message Boards

HT206B / 1030A vs 8040 8240

caliber, modified 6 Years ago.

HT206B / 1030A vs 8040 8240

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 9/22/14 Recent Posts
Hi,

I saw the HT206B on your site, is it still in production or not? I’m trying to find it here in Germany-Berlin but it’s not available in pro audio stores.

Also, is it exactly the same loudspeaker as 1030A? I’ve seen that it has a remote control plus RCA inputs so the cabinet may be smaller and possibly the frequency response is different to 1030A.

Thanks.
1038, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: HT206B / 1030A

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Exactly the same as a magnetically shielded 1030.

Same cabinet, drivers and amps, the only differences are the LED's show power status no clipping indicator, the LED can also be turned off. Added RCA input along with XLR input, and a pheonix connector which allows for 12V trigger. Autostart added as a feature.

All these additions were for its intended market, the home theatre market. The standard finish is also a painted black with radiused corners, versus the 1030 with its black veneer cabinet.
caliber, modified 7 Years ago.

Are they still in production? I can’t find these monitors in Berlin :evil:

All these additions were for its intended market, the home theatre market. The standard finish is also a painted black with radiused corners, versus the 1030 with its black veneer cabinet.

Are you saying that the cabinet is different to 1030A?

They are still in production, http://www.genelec.com/products/ht206b/

The cabinets are the same, there were just 2 options, Black timber veneer or producer painted finish, the majority of 103X speakers were timber veneer.

If they are still in production why I can’t find them anywhere? Do I have to go to a Genelec distributor and order them?
To avoid disappointment, in this picture is this a black timber veneer or painted black finish? http://www.genelec.com/products/ht206b/

By the way, if the HT206B and HT208B are still in production why you discontinued 1030A and 1031A? Sonically they are the same speakers right?

The HT206 is in the painted finish.

Home Theatre models are not distributed in all markets.

Contact the Genelec Distributor for your region for more information about what they have available.

I work for the Australian Distributor, we have the HT range, and as you can see by the link i gave you, Genelec still have them as current models.

When the 8000 series was released there was no equivalent model, so the HT range didn't change.

This is great news, I’ll get in touch right away :)

It’s pity that they discontinued 1000 series (but apparently they are alive and kicking as HTseries!). To my ears they are superior to 8000. Great dynamics and tight low end. I never felt comfortable with 8000 with their exaggerating bass and blurry low mids.

Thanks again.

The 8000 series are better than the 10 series in every way,

Genelec chose to compromise SPL for extension, so the 8000 series loose a dB or 2 but gain LF extension. The extended LF extension will muddy the mid range IF the dip switches aren't used to calibrate the speaker.

GENELEC spend a lot of time explaining how to get the best out of your monitors, in my experience when calibrating studios, a lot of owners never do this.

If you still have your 8040's, download the setup guide http://www.genelec.com/documents/catalogues/Monitor_Setup_Guide/Genelec_Monitor_Setup_Guide_2013.pdf And spend a day playing with your setup.

The 8000 series are better than the 10 series in every way,

GENELEC spend a lot of time explaining how to get the best out of your monitors, in my experience when calibrating studios, a lot of owners never do this.

I understand that you must defend and promote the latest models (8000) but for obvious reasons I can’t agree with you. I’ve worked in many studios with 8040 and 8050 and I had only troubles with them, the midrange is scooped and the low mids are dirty, translation is not good on other monitors.

On the contrary 1030 and 1031 have excellent sound characteristics, the low end is tight and punchy without needing to use the dip switches. They simply adapt on treated and untreated rooms MUCH better than 8040 or 8050.

To be fair, 8000 series when calibrated has more detail than 1000 but somehow they don’t sound right and they are not translating.

Genelec chose to compromise SPL for extension, so the 8000 series loose a dB or 2 but gain LF extension. The extended LF extension will muddy the mid range IF the dip switches aren't used to calibrate the speaker.

FYI, the SPL of 8040 on papers is the same as 1030 (105db at 1 meter) but I can assure you that 8040 are louder than 1030. The amps of 8040 are 90 +90W, in 1030 are 80 + 50W that’s why 8040 are louder.
I have used the dip switches but never had optimal results. I believe these monitors have been engineered wrong from the beginning.

No obvious reasons, when putting the 2 speakers side by side, the 8000 clearly wins.

The mid range isn't scooped, simply look at the frequency response of the speaker, scooped/dirty mids are caused by too much LF.

This discussion can't go anywhere as you obviously have your opinion and i have mine.

I have listened and calibrated hundreds of 1000/8000 series in many different studios. If you really want to know what's going on, stop thinking about what you think is wrong and go download REW and measure your room. Virtually every calibration starts with moving the speaker and listener positions first.

The 8040, has better cabinet, extended frequency response and lower distortion.

FYI, have you MEASURED the spl or is it simply your gut reaction??? Believe what you want, clearly you don't want advice, you want your OPINION validated.... You won't get it from me

On the contrary 1030 and 1031 have excellent sound characteristics, the low end is tight and punchy without needing to use the dip switches. They simply adapt on treated and untreated rooms MUCH better than 8040 or 8050.

I forgot to mention, every speaker need to be calibrated unless it is a phenomenal room (not many of those around), and NO speaker adapts to a room!!!

Go get a measurement system and do some homework, or don't you believe measurements are valid?

No obvious reasons, when putting the 2 speakers side by side, the 8000 clearly wins.

Sorry, I have exactly the opposite experience.

The mid range isn't scooped, simply look at the frequency response of the speaker, scooped/dirty mids are caused by too much LF.

I prefer to trust my ears rather than my eyes. Published specifications (in general) are next to useless to me

I have listened and calibrated hundreds of 1000/8000 series in many different studios. If you really want to know what's going on, stop thinking about what you think is wrong and go download REW and measure your room. Virtually every calibration starts with moving the speaker and listener positions first. .

As I said above I’ve worked in many studios with 8040 and 8050 and also in some mid treated rooms. 8040 and 8050 never behave right. They clearly missing the punch and tightness and midrange of the 1000 series.

The 8040, has better cabinet, extended frequency response and lower distortion.

So……? I Even the cheap KRK’s have better cabinets, frequency response and lower distortion than NS10’s, but this never kept the NS10’s out of massive demand, simply because they are working.

FYI, have you MEASURED the spl or is it simply your gut reaction??? Believe what you want, clearly you don't want advice, you want your OPINION validated.... You won't get it from me.

Gee…. why you are so touchy? Are why fighting here? Yes I had the chance in the past to listen side by side 8040 and 1030 (and although I didn’t have a SPL meter with me to measure), my impression is that 8040 was louder from 1030. But even If I’m wrong, then why Genelec give the same SPL specs on papers (105db at 1 meter) for both speakers? Should I trust the specs now?

By the way, the 1030 completely flat was really singing, the 8040 with all switches flat sounded undefined and very muddy. Why such a huge difference (in default mode) between the two models? Is there a reason for that?

I forgot to mention, every speaker need to be calibrated unless it is a phenomenal room (not many of those around), and NO speaker adapts to a room!!!

Well my experience with 1000 series is that they adapt very well even in mid treated rooms. My explanation is that the speakers have been designed with very good off-axis response, 8000 don’t manage so well despite their design.
There is a loudspeaker company in Finland called Amphion which developed a technology called UDD (Uniformly Directive Diffusion), resulting to hear more of the loudspeaker and less the room.
So I guess your opinion “NO speaker adapts to a room!!!” is not valid to everyone. But of course, serious treatment is the key for good acoustics.

Caliber, i get angry when you insinuate that i'm lying... That you... "understand how i must defend and promote the latest models".

Read what i wrote carefully, i answered your questions.

Unless the technology is like Genelec's filter sets, then my comment is valid, no speaker adapts to a room unless it has the ability to apply filters to the measured frequency response of the speaker in the room. This takes some form of human intervention, the speakers output is static, the room has a major impact on the sound you hear, the speaker doesn't know what type of room its in, only the listener does

I'd like to know what exactly you are hoping to find out with your questions.... you dismiss every fact presented to you...

If you want to get some 1030's, go find some HT206's and be happy... There are thousands of happy world class studios using 8000 series products, go use the monitor you like.

Caliber, i get angry when you insinuate that i'm lying... That you... "understand how i must defend and promote the latest models".

Steve, sincerely it wasn’t my intention to upset you. It’s obvious that you prefer the new line while I prefer the older one.
But.... I think it’s obvious to everyone here that it’s natural for a Genelec employee to promote and defend the latest models. As the 1000 series is not “officially” in production, then why you should promote them? Even if secretly you believe is better?!

I'd like to know what exactly you are hoping to find out with your questions.... you dismiss every fact presented to you...

Absolutely nothing, I was seeking information for HT206/1030A and its how the conversation turned out…. and I don’t dismiss anything, specifications are good on papers, but the 8000 series don’t translate to my ears.

If you want to get some 1030's, go find some HT206's and be happy... There are thousands of happy world class studios using 8000 series products, go use the monitor you like.

I’m waiting for some payments at the end of the month to place my order! I don’t disagree, but there are thousands of users worldwide who prefer the older line, just do a simple search on the internet.

But Steve, if you be so kind please explain this to me. As I said in the past I had the chance to listen side by side 1030 and 8040. Why the 1030 completely flat was really singing while the 8040 with all switches flat sounded undefined and very muddy. Why such a huge difference (in default mode) between the two models? Is there a reason for that?

Caliber,

firstly i am not an employee of Genelec...

There is no conspiracy, by every metric, the 8000 is better than the 1000. I am not spinning any kind of company line, but i have spent many hours listening. You can't simply disregard measured specifications because they don't fit your argument, you need to think WHY am i experiencing what i'm experiencing, where is the logic that explains the result i get... The great thing about audio is if you follow logic and physics the answers usually reveal themselves.

Measurements at the end of the day, are the only tools you have to qualify what you are perceiving. No they don't tell the complete story, but they are a must as a starting point. You would be amazed if you were to go and measure what is happening in rooms.

The reason why the 8040 sounds muddy when next to a 1030 when all dip switches are off is simply there is more LF energy which masks the MF. If you have a solid room the result will be exagerated. Try taking both speakers outside and listening where the room doesn't exist. Get them both about 1200mm from the floor and have a good listen. If you have a local dealer, go and listen to the 8240's, and listen both EQ'd and flat, it will quickly reveal just how important tuning the speaker to the environment is. This tuning needs to be done both physically by moving the location of both the listener and the speakers, and by the use of filters.

It is very hard for anyone to remove a personal bias, and be totally objective. This isn't a criticism of you, this is human nature, and it applies to us all, there have been many studies and discussions on the subject.

If you want to do yourself a favour, go and organise a demo of 8240's in your studio, i'd be interested in your thoughts.

The reason why the 8040 sounds muddy when next to a 1030 when all dip switches are off is simply there is more LF energy which masks the MF. If you have a solid room the result will be exagerated.

Steve, the frequency response of 1030 is 55Hz to 18kHz while 8040 is 48Hz to 20kHz. Are you saying the 7Hz difference from 8040 was causing this HUGE difference in sonics?

1030 was super tight on bass, with great clarity and transients revealing easily possible midrange flaws. 8040 was so bass heavy and muddy like something was wrong with the speaker, midrange was simply non existent.

That is the anechoic response.

I haven't measured 1030's in room, but 8240's typically are flat down to about 30Hz in room. The 8240 and 8040 have the same lf specification.

That is the anechoic response.

I haven't measured 1030's in room, but 8240's typically are flat down to about 30Hz in room. The 8240 and 8040 have the same lf specification.

This is interesting, are you saying that 8040’s when placed in a room is extending its frequency response about 20Hz.… and FLAT? How’s that possible?

Wouldn’t the same rule apply to 1030’s, extending their LF when placed in a room? Why their LF ain’t masking the mids and lows?

When any speaker is placed in a room, massive things happen to the response, but on average, 8240's are flat down to around 30Hz.

The same thing happens to a 1030 (not down to 30Hz, but boundary gain added), the extra LF response of the 8000 series has a bigger impact.

This is the response of an 8240 i set up in July this year..

And here is another from many years ago..

When looking at the plots, the RED line is in room response, the BLUE line is the custom filter built by GLM and the green line is the end result

This is why i said in an earlier post, it is critical to realise the importance of the relationship of the boundaries, speaker location and listening position. The goal is to get the red line not to have cancellations, as these can only be fixed by moving stuff and/or bringing in additional acoustic treatments. EQ will NOT fix cancellations.

I don't have any in room measurements of 1030's as it has been many years and PC ago when they were calibrated, they will also suffer from Boundary/Room gain but not to the same extent, maybe a 1031 might measure closer to an 8040 in room.

As you can see both these rooms had well over 10dB of gain! The maximum room gain i have ever measured was 35dB @ 35Hz!!!

This is why measurements are critical... As an example here is a plot of an 8260 poorly located in a room!!

As you can see there is a 10dB hole an octave wide from 70Hz to 150Hz, and other horrible stuff going on.

There is 24dB of gain at 30Hz. This is a good thing when you are EQ'ing as i have just got all this free horsepower from the room, this means my LF amp and LF driver are working a lot less after EQ'ing.

All this information is available to you for your room, all you need to do is understand the importance of calibration, although a lot of people believe they know a loudspeaker, as soon as it is moved or placed in another room it bears no relationship to what they know, emotionally they are happy, but mainly mixing blind.

Go download REW, (do a google search) use an omni mic vertically at your listening position and qualify what is going on, you may become a believer in measurements!! :)

Steve, I agree with everything you’re saying, but….. in practice the 8000 series is failing to compete the 1000 series. You said that your distribution has the HT206/1030, simply place the HT206 next to 8040 with all switches flat and you’ll see the light. The HT206/1030 is not masking the mid or the low frequencies, it sounds crystal clear and tight. The 8040 is very muddy, scooped and undefined.

I can assume two things between the two speakers,
a) the specs of 1030 or 8040 are not actually clear, that’s why they sound so different.
b) if the 8040 is really flat then the 1030 wasn’t measured in an anechoic chamber, huge difference in default/flat setting.
folan, modified 7 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
Three days ago I had the chance to visit a decent home studio which the owner was using Genelec’s 1030A. I was so impressed by their performance that I asked him if I could bring my 8040’s and do comparison test.
So it happened, and after an afternoon of careful comparison my observations are……

My 8040’s have definitely more information than 1030’s, they sound more silky but I think this makes them very forgiving in their mid and high frequencies. Surprisingly, the 1030’s revealed many mistakes in my mixes especially in high frequencies but also in the midrange. The hi-hats on my tracks where too high in the mix and there were also spikes in the mid frequencies.
When I was playing back my tracks with 8040’s everything was sounding glossy and pleasant, like there was a deep in the midrange, or like there was a bass and high frequency boost.
The 1030’s were VERY tight in the bass frequencies and also very fast! Transients were very cleared and audible while in my 8040’s were more blurred and not so fast. I also noticed that the 8040’s sound much more dry compared to 1030’s.

The only fault that I found on the 1030’s is that my ears were tired (fatigue) after this long comparison session, but the owner told me that he’s mixing at low levels and this is not a problem for him.
The bass frequency response is not as reach as it is on 8040’s, but I felt it was quite enough for bass adjustments.

To summarize,

Genelec 1030
Very tight low end
Fast
Clear audible transients
Revealing but also pleasant when mixing
Fatiguing after long periods

Genelec 8040
Extended low frequency response
Not fast
Undifined transients
Very forgiving in the mid-high range, pleasant sound

I’m very confused and disappointed at the moment, I was never really satisfied with 8040’s and I was blaming my room for that. That’s why I was waiting for the 8330’s to appear or even go with 8240’s to fix room acoustical problems. But after this direct comparison I feel that the 1030’s are a music production tool while the 8040’s are more suitable for home cinema or hi-fi/home listening.
Anyone who had the chance to compare the two models can relate to my observations?

To the OP, apologies for hijacking your thread but I posted here after realizing that HT206B is 1030A so maybe people who are using HT206B may comment from their experience. If you want me to move my post to a new thread just let me know.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your informative post. May I ask how were the room response controls (dip switches) set for each model during the listening comparison? Did you try different settings? Any on-site frequency response measurements available?

You may want to try -4 dB bass roll-off and perhaps -2 dB bass tilt combined for your 8040s to make them sound more like 1030.

Hi,

Thank you for your informative post. May I ask how were the room response controls (dip switches) set for each model during the listening comparison? Did you try different settings? Any on-site frequency response measurements available?

You may want to try -4 dB bass roll-off and perhaps -2 dB bass tilt combined for your 8040s to make them sound more like 1030.

Hi Ilkka,

Actually I wasn’t trying to make 8040 to sound like 1030A, I was just comparing the speakers.
About the switches, the 1030A was completely flat, in my 8040 I had always activated the 160Hz dip switch, otherwise the sound was blurry. I have also activated the bass tilt -2db switch. In some tracks this switch (-2db bass tilt) was working just fine but in others tracks the bass was thin. In general I preferred the 8040 with only the 160Hz switch on. Some tracks were sounding right with this setting while other were sounding bass heavy.

Surprisingly the 1030A was sounding just right in the bass region to whatever material supplied. Never touched any dip switches in the back as everything was sounding VERY TIGHT and right.

My main observations are that on 8040’s everything was sounding GLOSSY and easy to listen, in other words very forgiving. The 1030A revealed many mistakes in my tracks especially in the high frequencies. I think the clear transients, the tight bass and fast performance of the 1030A were the major difference between the 1030A and 8040.

Although it was obvious that the two models share the same Genelec sound they were quite different in their performance. They seemed like they were made for different jobs, 1030A for music production and 8040 for hi-fi listening. I may be wrong but this is what my ears heard.

The guy who had the 1030A told me that he never liked the 8040 or 8000 models, although I understand that this is a very personal thing.

Last but not least I should mention again that 1030A was very ear fatigue after long sessions and I didn’t like that at all. But MAYBE this was making the 1030A very revealing and my 8040’s very forgiving.

I’m looking forward for other users to share their experience who had the chance to work with the two models or even compare them.

Hi folan,

Room response controls are meant for adjusting the speaker's anechoic response to compensate for bass loading etc. Since the 8040 provides much more extended frequency response when it comes to low frequencies, and rooms tend to boost the bass the lower in frequency you go, it is perfectly understandable why the 1030 sounds tighter, this is a function of less extended bass. I would recommend to try to engage the bass roll-off dips on your 8040s. Those will roll-off the bass gently around the low frequency corner and help you to achieve better and tighter bass response.

Hi folan,

Room response controls are meant for adjusting the speaker's anechoic response to compensate for bass loading etc. Since the 8040 provides much more extended frequency response when it comes to low frequencies, and rooms tend to boost the bass the lower in frequency you go, it is perfectly understandable why the 1030 sounds tighter, this is a function of less extended bass. I would recommend to try to engage the bass roll-off dips on your 8040s. Those will roll-off the bass gently around the low frequency corner and help you to achieve better and tighter bass response.

I tried several combinations on my 8040’s but I couldn’t manage to get close to the sound of 1030A . Although the 8040’s are definitely more rich and smooth, I must admit that the 1030A’s have a very special character which 8040’s are surely missing. My main concern right now is that my 8040’s are sounding very forgiving compared to 1030A’s.

As I said before if any users of this forum had the chance to work or compare the two speakers it would be interesting to hear their impressions.

Hi Ilkka,

Please answer me why you decided to place the bass reflex rear on 8000 speakers. I heard from many people that the front reflex on 1000 speakers had many benefits including very close placement in the walls and less problematic frequency response when placed in rooms. Is this true?

The front reflex on 1030 could be a reason that it sounds so much tighter compared to 8040?

Hi Ilkka,

Please answer me why you decided to place the bass reflex rear on 8000 speakers. I heard from many people that the front reflex on 1000 speakers had many benefits including very close placement in the walls and less problematic frequency response when placed in rooms. Is this true?

The front reflex on 1030 could be a reason that it sounds so much tighter compared to 8040?

Hi,

Actually it's just the opposite, the rear port has many advantages over the front port(s).

1. Rear port allows the engineer to design the whole front plane of the speaker in favour of minimizing diffraction and maximizing the directivity waveguide area. Front ports will always cause diffraction, especially when placed close to the tweeter and its waveguide.

2. Rear port opening can be designed to have much larger cross-sectional area to minimize port noise.
Rear port minimizes the audibility of the port noise due to the fact that port noise has fairly high frequency components which are directive and thus get attenuated when they have to travel from back of the speaker.

3. Because the port will only radiate at low frequencies where the typical wavelength of the sound waves is in the range of 5 to 10 meters (30 to 60 Hz), placement of the port doesn't have any effect to the frequency response or how the port couples with the room. Sound at those frequencies is completely omnidirectional.

4. Rear port needs at least 5 cm of breathing space so it can't be pushed right next to a wall or blocked with some object.
folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Actually it's just the opposite, the rear port has many advantages over the front port(s).

Thanks for explaining this Ilkka!

But how come most of other pro speaker companies have the bass reflex in front? Don’t they aware of that? For example,

Focal, CMS series, Alpha series, Solo6, Twin6, have the bass reflex in front.
Tannoy, all their new line 402, 502, 802, the same.
Event Opal, a copy of Genelec design but they preferred to place the bass reflex in front.
KRK, ALL their series have the bass reflex in front.
Adam, ALL their series F, AX, SX, the bass reflex is in front.
Klein + Hummel/ Neumann KH 120, is in front
Fostex, in front
Presonus, in front

Of course there are companies who have the bass reflex in the back but not many of them. Like,

Dynaudio, BM, Air series.
Yamaha HS series
JBL LSR series
Genelec 8000 series

This make me very sceptic, I’m sure these companies do know how to design speakers, there must be a really good reason why the choose to place bass reflex in front (like Genelec did on 1000 models). Can you elaborate a bit more please?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

But how come most of other pro speaker companies have the bass reflex in front? Don’t they aware of that? For example

Hi,

I can not comment on the design choices made by other companies but I can tell you that during the design phase of the 8000 series we had many different designs, also many with front ports, but eventually we chose the best performing design which was the rear port.

Another recent example of the reflex ports can be seen in our M series speakers. They feature bottom located ports which have the same benefits of rear port when it comes to minimizing diffraction.
caliber, modified 6 Years ago.

To summarize,

Genelec 1030
Very tight low end
Fast
Clear audible transients
Revealing but also pleasant when mixing
Fatiguing after long periods

Genelec 8040
Extended low frequency response
Not fast
Undifined transients
Very forgiving in the mid-high range, pleasant sound

Hahaha, welcome to the club folan! But I don’t understand, you did the comparison test, your ears heard the truth! Why are you looking for other opinions???

You said it so yourself......

But after this direct comparison I feel that the 1030’s are a music production tool while the 8040’s are more suitable for home cinema or hi-fi/home listening. Anyone who had the chance to compare the two models can relate to my observations?

This is the ugly truth about 8000 models my friend and my experience is that they don’t translate on other monitor systems. A good mix on any 8000 model will sound good only when playing back on 8000 monitors. The 1030 vs 8040 test you did revealed the truth on your music.

Having said that, I’m curious to hear how the new coaxial 8351A sounds like? I’m just crossing fingers to sound more like the old trusty 1000 models and not like 8000.

Edit, I added the 8040 and 8240 on thread title in case you still want opinions about 8040 or 8240.

Hahaha, welcome to the club folan! But I don’t understand, you did the comparison test, your ears heard the truth! Why are you looking for other opinions???

To be honest I’m confused! This test made me sceptic, why Genelec choose to take such a different approach with 8000 while their 1000 series was so successful? Was there a reason for that? Is the 8000 more honest?
Is the 1000 more suitable for professional music creation while 8000 are better for hi-fi use as I observed?
If the 1000 was better why Genelec continues to produce 8000 series?
Questions, questions, perhaps Ilka can enlighten us with his knowledge.

Speaking of 1000 series I found this thread on Gearslutz about 1031 and there’s a lot of love for these speakers these days, even they are over twenty years old.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... 032-a.html
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: HT206B / 1030A vs 8040 8240

The thing to realise folan, is that people like what they know....

If you read any internet forum you will find totally polarised opinions on the same speaker...

We all listen differently, valuing different things in the presentation of the music. As a Genelec Product Specialist, i can tell you that by every consideration, the 8000 series is superior to the 1000 series.

From spending time in many studios i can tell you that a vast majority of studios don't calibrate or measure their systems, the room is the dominant processor when you listen, as i've said to you before, simply lift your speakers 600mm and listen to the difference....

The 8000 series produce more LF than the 1000 so the room interaction is heavier.

One of the problems these days is that people make a lot of quick decisions, for example when i calibrate a video projector for a client, initially they ALL hate the result, but i simply ask them to live with it for a month, to re-adjust... They have spent a lifetime watching high contrast over saturated images, this is their reality.... After a month when i set the display back to default they can't believe how bad the image is... It is the same with audio, it still amazes me people will hold on to lifetime bias not wanting to accept change.

As more and more products feature room EQ, i hope the topic of discussion will all be about how to maximise their experience rather than the decades old product a v product b. The internet is full of people with opinion, you need to figure out who's opinion is worth considering.... and the answer is yours is the only one that matters...

You must be getting very frustrated, you have been talking about this for a long time... This tells me that you care, trust me you need to start asking different questions and try to understand what you are experiencing and why... Good luck..

Re: HT206B / 1030A vs 8040 8240

as i've said to you before, simply lift your speakers 600mm and listen to the difference....

Hi Steve, sorry I don’t remember this, what do you mean by lifting the speakers 600mm? The optimal listening position is 600mm from the floor? Something’s wrong here.

The internet is full of people with opinion, you need to figure out who's opinion is worth considering.... and the answer is yours is the only one that matters.

Steve from the test I did between 8040 and 1030 if I hear my instinct it tells me that 1030 is a studio production tool while 8040 is a great hi-fi listening speaker. 1030’s were more revealing and indeed exposed many mistakes in my mixes that I made with 8040’s.

You must be getting very frustrated, you have been talking about this for a long time... This tells me that you care, trust me you need to start asking different questions and try to understand what you are experiencing and why... Good luck.

Indeed I’m very frustrated and I’m trying to figure out if it’s my room that’s making the problem or if it is indeed the character of the 8040 that I don’t like. I’m compensating with dip switches but I'm struggling to find an optimum balance. That’s why I’m looking for DSP models right now, but I’m afraid if it’s the character/response of the speaker that I don’t like then none DSP is going to save me.