Message Boards

GLM 1.0 trade-in / upgrade offer.

digipete, modified 7 Years ago.

GLM 1.0 trade-in / upgrade offer.

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 6/18/11 Recent Posts
lkka

Please ask your CEO to allow us a fair trade-in for GLM 2.0 upgrades.

We have been more than patient with years of problems with GLM 1.X Mac.
Just give us a fair deal.

Thanks in advance
. . and looking forward to test-driving the GLM 2.0

PS. Sorry for posting this again, but its super important and needs it's own headline.

Peter Ring
bourne, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: GLM 1.0 trade-in / upgrade offer.

Padawan Posts: 74 Join Date: 2/26/14 Recent Posts
+1

And following Peter's reorganization, there was another relevant thread with people who purchased the GML 1.0 unit recently: http://www.community.genelec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1458

I understand the economic perspective of the company having a reduced product range.

Out of a customer perspective, things are a bit different: we bought GML unit and hardware for about 800 EUR, just a couple of weeks or months ago. I agree with you that 520 EUR is a good value for the new unit including microphone, still for us, it is an 800 EUR loss (or additional costs of 520 EUR therefore a total of 1300 EUR for the system).
The old extension units accounted for 300 EUR, better than 520 EUR, still quite an amount (we could buy a nice pair of entry Genelecs instead ;) ).

The Genelec 1.5 Software has its flaws, I believe most of us are eagerly waiting for a better software. The current software does not meet the high standards set by Genelec monitors. Staying with the old GML 1.5 is not an option for long, I doubt that you will continue to support the software over the next couple of years for all upcoming operating systems. And naturally, we are stuck with the old software, without the necessary improvements.
I did not expect that my freshly bought hardware would be unusable with the next software upgrade.

I believe Genelec could afford running an upgrade program for customers who recently purchased the old GML-sets. This must not necessarily be a free program, you could provide an exchange of the units (without microphones) at manufacturing costs which should bring the price down to a reasonable amount.
thyem, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 23 Join Date: 4/30/09 Recent Posts
+1
wanggogh, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 2/22/13 Recent Posts
+1 :)

Any news on a GLM 1.0 trade-in / upgrade offer?

Alternatively, extend the GLM 2.0 software to the GLM 1.X hardware?

Or other solution to give us a stable software that works with GLM 1.X hardware?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Peter et al,

I have forwarded your message/request to our managing director, and I am expecting an answer any time now. Thank you for your patience!
thyem, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 23 Join Date: 4/30/09 Recent Posts
Dear Ilkka,

thank you very much for your effort. :D

Best,
thyem

+1, thanks Illka!

Dear GLM users,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your constructive feedbacks and initiatives related to the transition from GLM 1.5 to GLM 2.0 software. Long lasting products have been a unique heritage of our company and our intent is to stick to such a tradition also in the audio software domain we offer. Indeed, we are aware of the fact that an application software such as GLM has to live with all possible changes and surprises which operating systems and computer hardware may cause during the software lifetime.

In addition to the fact that we have ensured that GLM 2.0 stays backward compatible with GLM 1.5, we have naturally been thinking of how we could support our current GLM 1.5 customers to move seamlessly to the future version of the software and benefit from the new GLM 2.0 software features.
Having said these, we warmly welcome your trade-in initiative and we will start working seriously on a proposal. We will inform you as soon as we will have studied the different aspects of the implementation of the initiative and our offering.

Warm regards and thanks for your patience!

Siamäk Naghian
Managing Director

First of all, great news, thank you!

In addition to the fact that we have ensured that GLM 2.0 stays backward compatible with GLM 1.5, we have naturally been thinking of how we could support our current GLM 1.5 customers to move seamlessly to the future version of the software and benefit from the new GLM 2.0 software features.

I wonder if I get this paragraph right:
- GML 2.0 is backwards compatible with GML 1.5: does this mean, the new GML 2.0 software is able to control the old GML units that are now controlled by GML 1.5 software (limited to the functionality of the 1.5 software)
- (the other interpretation would be that the new GML 2.0 units can be controlled by the old GML 1.5 software, but that seems to be useless)
- However, new features of the GML 2.0 software will require the new GML units and this is, where the trade-in offer might come handy.

Dear Ilkka

Please thank your Managing Director for taking this under advisement.

Im confident that you will come up with a solution that benefits us alle

Peter Ring
Running 2 GLM 1.X setups

First of all, great news, thank you!

I wonder if I get this paragraph right:
- GML 2.0 is backwards compatible with GML 1.5: does this mean, the new GML 2.0 software is able to control the old GML units that are now controlled by GML 1.5 software (limited to the functionality of the 1.5 software)
- (the other interpretation would be that the new GML 2.0 units can be controlled by the old GML 1.5 software, but that seems to be useless)
- However, new features of the GML 2.0 software will require the new GML units and this is, where the trade-in offer might come handy.

Hi,

I believe Siamäk meant that GLM 2.0 can control also 1200, 8200 and 7200 series units, but it requires the new GLM 2.0 network adapter. This is a must for any kind of backward compatibility. Other scenarios presented by you are not possible.

Dear Ilkka

Please thank your Managing Director for taking this under advisement.

Im confident that you will come up with a solution that benefits us alle

Peter Ring
Running 2 GLM 1.X setups

He will be following this conversation himself so your greetings are already delivered. :)
chakshu, modified 7 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 43 Join Date: 2/10/14 Recent Posts
Thank you so much for working working on an upgrade program! I bought my Genelecs this winter with a GLM 1.0 system and the only problem with the wonderful 8240 was the GLM 1.5 software. I got really disappointed when I feared I would have to invest the same money again just half a year later but now I'm looking forwards to upgrading to 2.0

Thank you,
C
zee64, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 38 Join Date: 11/2/13 Recent Posts
Thank you so much for working working on an upgrade program! I bought my Genelecs this winter with a GLM 1.0 system and the only problem with the wonderful 8240 was the GLM 1.5 software. I got really disappointed when I feared I would have to invest the same money again just half a year later but now I'm looking forwards to upgrading to 2.0

Thank you,
C

I am keen to see Genelec act and suport current users by offering a trade in or reasonably priced upgrade. I have been frustrated by the lack of a fix for 1.5 and Yosemite, but I'd be very happy to trade in or up for GLM 2.0

Come on Genelec :mrgreen:
hansi, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 6/8/13 Recent Posts
I am keen to see Genelec act and suport current users by offering a trade in or reasonably priced upgrade. I have been frustrated by the lack of a fix for 1.5 and Yosemite, but I'd be very happy to trade in or up for GLM 2.0

+1 !!!
More than half a year with a buggy version 1.5.0, 3 months without support for OSX 10.10. A Version 2.0 which only supports Windows (so far) ...
Come On, Genelec, think of your Mac users!
zee64, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 38 Join Date: 11/2/13 Recent Posts

+1 !!!
More than half a year with a buggy version 1.5.0, 3 months without support for OSX 10.10. A Version 2.0 which only supports Windows (so far) ...
Come On, Genelec, think of your Mac users!

Well I've been patient with Genelec (as we all have) and I do understand everyone is busy, but the lack of support to Genelec customers is something I am not used to. The lack of action or at least a response that gives us hope of a solution has made me realise its time to say goodbye to Genelec. As user of Genelec for a long, long time its time to seek a different solution for me. :cry:
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to hear about your concerns about our products. Please find below our response and further explanations:

• GLM 2.0: we are working hard to finalize the MAC version of the GLM 2.0 software. Based on what we have promised and communicated earlier, that is, by the end of Q1/2015. We will keep you informed as soon as we will be ready to release the software.

• GLM 1.5: as we emphasized earlier, our intent is to continue the heritage of long-lasting product support also for the software part and features of our products. Therefore, we will continue supporting GLM 1.5 and its compatibility with operating systems, either directly or by direct transition to GLM 2.0. This work is also on going in parallel and we believe we will resolve it, at the latest, with the release of GLM 2.0 for MAC.

• We are pleased to inform you that we have also decided to start GLM 2.0 Trade-in program as soon as we have finalized the MAC version of the software. This will be a unique opportunity also for GLM 1.5 users to benefit from the latest features of GLM 2.0.

• From now on, we will keep you informed regularly (bi-weekly) in our community as we go forward with these issues.

We hope the above can help to remove your concerns. We would like to emphasize that we are fully committed to make our users happy and are doing all we can in this matter.

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience.

Siamäk Naghian
Managing Director
digipete, modified 6 Years ago.

Thanks for the info, Ilkka!

Can't wait to upgrade my systems to GLM 2.0.
I'm sure that the current GLM disaster will newer happen ever again.

All the best to the SAM / GLM team at Genelec.

Peter Ring
Genelec Fanboy
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Please see this thread for GLM 2.0 news, updates and communication!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1626