Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8250A vs 8260A

youvebeenserged, modified 8 Years ago.

8250A vs 8260A

Padawan Posts: 39 Join Date: 7/22/14 Recent Posts
Hi,

I auditioned 8250A's and 8260A's... They both sounded great, but...

1) I found the 8260A's sounded more 'relaxed' at the same SPL (80 dB at the listening postion). It seemed to me the 8250A's needed to work harder. Is this subjective or is there a technical explanation for this?

2) 80 dB with the 8250A's was just fine, 80 dB with the 8260A's seemed louder, a bit too loud actually. Subjective too?

Thanks in advance,

Serge
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: 8250A vs 8260A

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

1) That is perfectly correct assessment and there is a technical explanation for that. 8260A is a 3-way speaker with more powerful amplifiers and larger cabinet which all lead to higher maximum SPL, higher dynamic capability, lower distortion and therefore, more 'relaxed' sound.

2) May I ask how did you measure the SPL? There shouldn't be much difference between these models, only a little bit due to different directivity behaviour.
youvebeenserged, modified 8 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 39 Join Date: 7/22/14 Recent Posts
Hello Ilkka,

1) Good explanation! I suppose, for the same reasons, the 8260A will sound 'fuller' at very low SPL (55 dB). Is this correct? This is important for me because we are talking about a home Hifi solution and I mostly listen in the late evening when my wife is sleeping.

2) I used a simple analogue SPL meter (C weighted and 'slow'). Although the meter showed the same SPL level (80 dB as I adjusted the volume on the power amp) it seemed louder. I probably have an explanation for this difference. I was listening in a room which was not finished yet, with hard surfaces in front, back and ceiling. There was no acoustic treatment yet. Because the 8260A's were not in the same position as the 8250A's I could have suffered from more reflections than with the 8250A's. Especially in the mid range. therefore they sounded louder and more tiring. Could I be correct?

Thanks,

Serge
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

1) Correct, a speaker with better bass extension will typically sound 'fuller' at low listening levels.

2) It is very difficult to compare multiple speakers placed around the listening room because the room will have different effect to speakers due to room reflections and standing waves. Especially if the room isn't acoustically treated.