Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

HT setup small room

jacovn, modified 8 Years ago.

HT setup small room

Youngling Posts: 14 Join Date: 7/26/14 Recent Posts
Hello,

I am currently selling my Meridian system with dsp5200/dsp3100/sw1600 speakers.

My wish is to have Dolby Atmos, so height channels. Since Meridian is very slow in using new techniques, and seem to move more towards 2 channel setups, i decided to sell it all.

I know Genelec from iSE exhibit of a few years back, and i was impressed than.

So i need 7 channels in the base layer, and 4 in the top layer.
Pre-amp will most likely be a Marantz AV8802, but i might start with 8801 for the first half year (that has only 2 front height channels)

The room it will be installed in is small, 2,90 wide max, 4,70 long max, 2,35 heigh.
It is a room inside a room, with a lot of absorbtion and some diffusion. It was calculated by an acoustican, but i basic sit 2.1 meters from the speakers. The Left, Center and Right will be behind a acoustical transperant screen (screen excellence enlightor 4K) sides and rears will be behind felt covered panels.

I was sound wise satisfied with the meridian setup installed that way, so i guess with Genelec i can as well.

My thoughts were 3x 8040 for lCR, and 4x 8030 for side/rear surrounds. For the heights i think 8020 will do.
I am offered a 7070 to go with these.

I read some posts on this forum and the 82xx speakers seem nice as well.
But the marantz units have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Pro, Audyssey Sub EQ HT Dual subwoofer EQ processing en Audyssey LFC, so i will have correction on every channel anyway if needed. I do not have serious problems in the room as the side and front walls are not parrallel, the room is odd shaped. So only floor/ceiling parallel surface has issues.

So i have now some questions:
1) advantage of 82xx series if i only do the front 3 and not the side/rear/height. This against the Audyssey correction i also will have.

2) i could go for 7 x 8030 speakers, to have perhaps amore even sounding setup, but i read 8030 and 8040 should sound much alike for everything but the lowest octaves. Is it an advantage to use 8040 upfront ?

3) 7070 woofer was advised by local distributor, and i read the comments on this forum related to max spl.
However i run my current system 20 dB under reference level. It does not need to be very loud in my ht room to enjoy it as i have littel outside sound coming in, and few reflections to cause issues.
Would a 7060 do if i not want to do peak spl of over 100dB ?

4) what kind of stand to use. I sit ear height at 1100 mm, acoustical center is 240 mm above feet. Than there is a stand palte and a isopod. So stand should be around 840 mm heigh i think.
This is only for the front 3, the surrounds are mounted with flamco rails on the walls and accesoiries, which is flexible in height. They not need to look nice (behind a AT screen) but fuctional and i not want to spend too much, but a good stand. Spikes can go in the floor. Have about 50 cm depth behind the AT screen.
Thanks, Jaco
jacovn, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: HT setup small room

So i went to the distributor (Iemke Roos in The Netherlands) and did listen to the 8040x 3 upfront and 8030x2 as surround. The sub was a 7060 (after i shared the drawing of my small room this would be enough for modest levels)
2nd half of the demo the 8040 were replaced with 8030, and i listened to CD again for 2 channel.

I found the 8040 better than the 8030 in their room (easy 10x the size of my room) , so that will be an easy choice. (7x 8040)

I was also shown the windows software to correct the dsp systems (there was a 3 way system measurements shown) i did not ask very specific questions, but i saw only 3 notch filters used to correct some room modes (mainly floor ceiling looking at the size of the room and the frequency.
I will try that with audyssey.

Challenge will be to mount the 8020 at the ceiling. All the default wall mounts cannot make the angle when used on ceiling. The ceiling mount is 225 mm, and this will put the 8020 10 cm from the ceiling, which is height i cannot miss, as the ceiling is onlys 235 cm heigh.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

One option would be to modify (cut, weld and paint) the ceiling mount, but I understand if it doesn't interest you.

I found a solution i think.

The 8000-422 wallmount:

It seems i can install it upside dow n. The bolt will hold a few KG fine i think.

Than i will use a flamco T shaped rail part of 150 mm. So i get a vertical rail coming from the ceiling. There i can mount the 8000-422 on. Upside down there seems no problem with greater angles. I need slightly more than 40 degrees.

I think i found a nice stand for my setup.

K&M 26720

http://products.k-m.de/media/files_publ ... 000-55.pdf

These have a top plate which you can detach, and mount the standplate of 8040 on.
It is sold for 65€ so also pretty affordable.

I ordered the speakers today.
7x G Four, 4x G Three and a HTS4B

Thursday they will be delivered :)

And they arrived yesterday, and today the last 2x G4

The K&M 26720 works pretty good. I use the 8040 stand plate, and a m8 bolt through it to the mounting point of the stand (the included one is little to short)
It sits perfectly on it, and can be set low enough (acoustic center on the ear level when seated) what was not possible with the stands in the Genelec program.

I am mounting the G3 for height channels using the 8000-422B as ceiling mount. Not intended for that, but it works,
When free hanging it almost defaults to the correct angle, so not to much pressure on the locking bolts i think.

Pre amp arrived. Listened shortly to a 4.0 DVD-A but did not have the time yet to sit down and listen carefully.

By now i had more time to listen. Dolby Atmos and Auro3d can be very nice when mixed ok.
The setup with the G4 and G3 speakers works quite good. In the room i cannot hear much difference with Audyssey on or off. Plenty pf bass from the HTS-4b.

Very happy with the setup.
dabotsonline, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 8/15/13 Recent Posts
I'm following the announcements at CES right now and will keep an eye out during NAMM in late January and ISE in early February, but what are the most suitable floor mounts/stands for the 8010A so that they can be used as upward-firing (rather than ceiling-mounted) speakers for Dolby Atmos?

My uncle will probably be using nine of the 8010As alongside a 7050B subwoofer in a 5.1.4 configuration with the Marantz AV7702 preamp (although my well-heeled friend plans to invest in a Datasat RS20i processor).
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have suitable stand for this kind of purpose. I would recommend custom stands which can be connected to VESA 75 standard mounting holes found on the speakers.

https://www.networktechinc.com/appnotes ... ndard.html
jacovn, modified 6 Years ago.

I had to get used to the G3 speakers on the ceiling, but now i do not notice them anymore.
8010 are smaller so if you can run the needed cables there i would just ceiling mount them.

I like the sound very much. Upgraded the Marantz 7702 to a mk2 version (due in November)