Message Boards

Which subwoofer for small space?

pilot-pirx, modified 7 Years ago.

Which subwoofer for small space?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/31/11 Recent Posts
I am upgrading my monitoring system from stereo to 5.1. My stereo speakers are 8040A. I picked this model (over 8030A) although my studio is only 40m3, because I definately preferred the sound of 8040A.
Now I intend to purchase 3 more 8040A and subwoofer 7060A. I know that recommended subwoofer for 8040 is 7070, but in case of such small space I think it would be enough - I won't need hight SPL level, I need to calibrate my studio around 80 SPL (sound postproduction for film). Please, let me know if the setup will be sufficient for these conditions.

Regards,
Kate
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: Which subwoofer for small space?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Kate,

Can you explain more about the calibration? What kind of device and signal do you use for it?

Typically Dolby reference level is calibrated with a -20 dBFS pink noise or IEC268-5 simulated programme signal at 85 dB which leads to 105 dB maximum SPL from each individual channel. LFE channel has 10 dB more headroom which puts it at 115 dB.
pilot-pirx, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: Which subwoofer for small space?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/31/11 Recent Posts

Typically Dolby reference level is calibrated with a -20 dBFS pink noise or IEC268-5 simulated programme signal at 85 dB which leads to 105 dB maximum SPL from each individual channel. LFE channel has 10 dB more headroom which puts it at 115 dB.

This is exactly the way I should calibrate, but because the space is so small I was advised to calibrate the level around 80 dB rather than 85, which would be simply too loud.
Should the setup do?
And in case of typical Dolby calibration? I'm going to move to a little bigger space some time.

PS. Shouldn't I set the pink noise to -18 dbFS in Europe?