Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8260a attenuation input signal.

raindog, modified 8 Years ago.

Genelec 8260a attenuation input signal.

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 7/19/13 Recent Posts
Dear all

i'm driving my pair of 8260a direct from PC using an RME HDSPe AIO card.
What i discovered is that the best solution for me is to set the input gain on the speakers on -32 db but problably i will go down to -42.
My question is: what happen to the digital signal? i lost some bits in digital domain or the signal is always dithered?
Thank you in advanced.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8260a attenuation input signal.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Volume control inside the speaker is always done after all the other processing and it's being dithered before it goes to the DAC. Only issue with such a high attenuation is the achievable maximum SPL which would be 130 dB (digital maximum level) - 42 dB = 88 dB. If that is enough for you, there are no problems with using high attenuation value.
raindog, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8260a attenuation input signal.

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 7/19/13 Recent Posts
Thank You.
Yes i'm a little in trouble because the room is small and we have lot of resonance...