Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

G two or G 8020 which one to buy?

curwen, modified 8 Years ago.

G two or G 8020 which one to buy?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 3/4/14 Recent Posts
Hi guys.
Sorry i know there was some similar threads about that stuff already, but i got little more specific question. I looking to buy new speakers for desktop use and need to choose between 8020 and G Two. I know 1st one for pro use such as studio use and mix etc and second listed as hi-fi. Personally i just listen music/watch movies dont do any pro stuff. So question - is there any difference between those except connectors, sensitivity etc. I dont mean sound quality, but i guess as long as G series listed as hi-fi AFC been little changed to make sound more soft. Or im wrong? Also if ill buy one of those for small room do i rly need a sub or 2.0 setup is ok too? Also new 8010 characteristics looks very promised compared to old model 6010. It looks almost same as 8020, but in smaller cize. So is that correct? And if so may be its an option to buy too, especiall if i rly lack space on table?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: G two or G 8020 which one to buy?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

There is absolutely no sound quality or tone difference between 8020 and G Two models. Both have the same neutral sound characteristics Genelec speakers are known of.

Both can be used with or without a subwoofer, it is mostly about your requirements and previous experience with speaker systems. If you are used to large full range speakers, then probably would like to have a subwoofer because 8020/G Two are small desktop speakers with somewhat limited bass extension. Is there a Genelec dealer nearby who you could visit and have a demo?

8010 is again one step smaller model from 8020. Performance has improved compared to 6010 but of course it is still no match for the 8020 big brother. :)

Is there a Genelec dealer nearby who you could visit and have a demo?

Im from Russia and it seems here no shops at all offer some demo. They afraid to unpack boxes and without listening test im afraid to buy :? And sub i surely need coz got only space for 6010. also can 8010 be used with 5040 sub or only with 7050? Currently i using AE aego M.

Is there a Genelec dealer nearby who you could visit and have a demo?

Im from Russia and it seems here no shops at all offer some demo. They afraid to unpack boxes and without listening test im afraid to buy :? And sub i surely need coz got only space for 6010. also can 8010 be used with 5040 sub or only with 7050? Currently i using AE aego M.

8010 can be used with 5040 but you need RCA-XLR cables between them. Also you need to enable the -10 dB sensitivity mode on the speakers for proper SPL match.

Any official distributors in Russia that can offer listening test?

Any official distributors in Russia that can offer listening test?

A&T Trade is our official distributor in Russia. You should ask where they have dealers who can offer a listening demo.

A&T Trade Moscow office
3, bld. 2, Marksistskaya str.
109147 Moscow
Russia
00 7 495 604 19 76
pro_brands@soundmanage.ru
bykhovets@attrade.ru

8010 can be used with 5040 but you need RCA-XLR cables between them. Also you need to enable the -10 dB sensitivity mode on the speakers for proper SPL match.

Can be used yes, but will it play as good as with 6010? Also does 8010 much better in sound quality than 6010 or just abit?

Can be used yes, but will it play as good as with 6010? Also does 8010 much better in sound quality than 6010 or just abit?

It will play as good as with 6010. Subjective differences in sound quality or performance are always difficult to assess. To one person something which may sound a large difference, may sound as a very minuscule difference to other person. It is always best to listen to yourself. But for sure the difference between 6010 and 8010 is not like a night and day.