Message Boards

GLM bass roll off

ldm75, modified 7 Years ago.

GLM bass roll off

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 1/19/14 Recent Posts
Hi, I just got the glm software so I'm excited to hear the results soon. My question is after going through the manual quickly and look for the answer here I couldn't find if I had to disable the bass roll off and bass tilt on my 8240a as I'm in a little room? Should I reset these settings to have a flat response for autocal?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: GLM bass roll off

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

You don't have to disable manual controls on the back of the speaker because GLM will automatically override all manual controls when the speakers are connected to the network and GLM.

Ok thanks. I don't get it I just connected the interface via usb, then an ethernet cable through the in connector of one of my loudspeaker to test it, but the loudspeakers online number stays at 0... I tested on both of the loudspeakers, with two different ethernet cables, am I doing something wrong?

from what I could read on the forum it should mean that the interface box is broken?

Ok thanks. I don't get it I just connected the interface via usb, then an ethernet cable through the in connector of one of my loudspeaker to test it, but the loudspeakers online number stays at 0... I tested on both of the loudspeakers, with two different ethernet cables, am I doing something wrong?

Let's check few things before that. Are you positive that the ethernet cable is connected to the "GLM Network" connector? Does the orange power LED lit?

Are both speakers powered on? Do the speaker LEDs show green colour? Does the colour change when you plug in the ethernet cable?

Yes I'm plugging the ethernet cable through the GLM connector (not the terminator return), then the cable is going to the "connector network" ethernet plug IN (I tried with the through also). First time I tried with 2 cables, my loudspeakers connected via an other ethernet cable with the trough to in, and one of them through the in to the inteface box, as it wasn't detecting anything I then did other tries with one loudspeaker only and tried two different ethernet cables (one cat5e the other cat6 and I'm using both daily they seem to work).
Both speakers were ON everytime I tried.

Regarding the lights on the box, when I plug the usb the led close to the usb cable is orange and always turned on, whereas whatever I'm doing (plugging ethernet or removing the cable) the other led is always orange but it's blinking fast, it's never stabilizing.
The glm software perfectly detects the interface, but the number of loudspeakers online remains at 0. I just unpacked it, received it yesterday brand new bought on Thomann.

Hi,

A few more questions/things to consider:

-Do you have something in between the interface and the speakers, like an Ethernet switch? It should be a straight connection.
-Also the GLM interface should be connected straight to the computer, not via USB hub.
-Ethernet cables need to be straight, not crossover type.
-Are you positive that you are using the "full" GLM package, not the GLM.SE version? Your GLM version should be 1.4.3.
-If you look at the orange LED near the dip switches on the back of the speaker, it should go off when the Ethernet cable is connected to the speaker. Does it?

I'm going to answer each question

- It's a straight connection, no interface

- Not using a USB hub I'm using a usb at the rear of my iMac

- Ethernet cable is straight not crossover

- I'm using this http://www.thomann.de/fr/genelec_glm.htm, it does say that it's 1.4.3 when I'm launching it

- The problem might be on this one : I can see the discrete orange light at the rear of my 8240 near the "network control" plug in and when I'm plugging the ethernet cable nothing changes the light is still here. Like it's not noticing I plugged the cable I guess.

please let me know what you think about it when you can cause I'd like to return it asap if it's broken, thank you.

Hi,

based on the tests and debugging you have made, it would seem that the interface is broken.

Well they just sent me a new one, same problem... Really I don't know what to do... Would it be possible that it comes from the speakers (that would mean both of them)?? Or from the cable? I'm not using the ones given with the loudspeakers cause I don't have them, are they specific I mean it's supposed to work with cat 5e or 6 but should I buy cat 5 or have the ones in the loudspeakers package? Thanks.

Original cables are normal cat5e cables, nothing specific. This is a very strange problem. Have you bought your speakers as new or used? How old are they (there is a date sticker near the mains connector)?

Where are you located? Is there a Genelec dealer near you that you could visit and maybe test your setup with another Genelec DSP speakers?

I bought them used, the date is october 08 for one and mar 08 for the other one. I live in Paris.

I would advice you to contact our distributor in France. They are located close to Paris and can offer you local professional service.

Please ask for Mr. Alain Deletete or Mr. Yann Matté.

http://www.audiopole.fr/

Ok I'm going to contact them, thank you for the quick answer.

Just to let you know, I contacted them we met and Yann was also very surprised as it didn't work with his setup as well. So they had to check inside and they informed me few days ago that the DSP cards were "burned" on both... I'm obviously not gonna do the reparation as the 2 cards changing cost is about the price for one new speaker. Too bad for me but I wonder how that could even happen when the speakers are working fine apart from this.