Message Boards

M040 BASS PORTS

drock, modified 7 Years ago.

M040 BASS PORTS

Youngling Posts: 16 Join Date: 2/9/14 Recent Posts
Good morning everyone.
I purchased a pair of M040 monitors and i really am enjoying them.
I also purchased the genelec iso-pads with the metal plate that are for the m-series.
My question is since they are designed with bass reflex ports that push bass downward,
is it wise to put these speakers on a metal plate and foam ?
won't this disrupt the bass response ?
I realize i have the option to mount the M040's on stands which is why they invented the metal plate,but i still feel that using the genelec iso-pads and or metal plate will disturb the bass flow.
I do not own stands so i place the two speakers first on the metal plate and then on the iso-pads,is this correct?
I am thinking that stands that do not block the bass reflex ports would be ideal,maybe something that connects to the back of the speaker and then to the stand.
I know genelec makes the very best products so i hope i am not offending anyone who reads my post.
I am also thinking that since they designed the M040 speakers in such a way,there is a strong possibility that they simply just sit on iso-pads with no worries.
Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated :-)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: M040 BASS PORTS

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

The Iso-Pads are specifically designed not to disrupt air flow coming out from the bass reflex ports. The metal plate should be placed on top of the foam pads to prevent the speaker from sinking into the pads. Pads shouldn't be used without the metal plates. The bass response will be greatly improved with the use of Iso-Pads when compared to standard table installation without the pads.

Thank you for clarifying :-)
Last question,
I want to purchase stands for the monitors,
Do I place my speakers on the metal plate and then onto the stand ?
Or do I put the speakers on the metal plate then the iso pads and finally on the stand?

If you want to use stands with a microphone thread attachment, you should attach the metal plate to them and then put the speakers on the plates. Iso-Pad foam pads are meant for table or similar horizontal surface installation.

So I shouldn't use the Genelec iso pads on a flat monitor stand ?
The stands I bought are DR pro, I guess I can simply put the speaker on the wooden stand and save the plate and foam for something else.
Thank you for your responses

Do you mean a stand like this? http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro-Mapl ... 1535186.gc

Iso-Pads can be used with speaker stands which have a top plate. You just place the pad first on the top plate and then the metal plate on top of it, just as you would with a typical table installation. Please notice the different vertical tilt options Iso-Pads allow.

I really appreciate all your time with this Ilkka,
Thank you very much, you have been very helpful :-)
phye, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/23/14 Recent Posts
I'd like to join this conversation.

I have recently purchased M040 and replaced my Krk's on IsoAcoustics iso-l8r155.

I have a feeling I'm losing bass due to the bass ports position and the open support of the IsoAcoustics stands.
So much so, that I've even considered adding a sub.

Could it be that the IsoAcoustic stands are just not compatible with the M040 design? Or would it help to place some kind of plate between the stand and the monitor?

In other words, are the new bass ports actually designed for a flat surface to reflect on?

That would explain alot.

I'd like to join this conversation.

I have recently purchased M040 and replaced my Krk's on IsoAcoustics iso-l8r155.

In other words, are the new bass ports actually designed for a flat surface to reflect on?

Hi,

M series bass ports are designed to work equally well on flat surface as well as free standing position. You won't notice much difference at all. Difference compared to your previous speakers is probably due to different bass response, our speakers are designed with flat frequency response in mind while many others have quite a bit of bass boost.
perbra, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 8/26/15 Recent Posts
Hi, I consider buying a pair of IsoAcoustics iso-l8r155 for my M040. Do they fit well? Will you recommend the l8r155 for M040?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Hi, I consider buying a pair of IsoAcoustics iso-l8r155 for my M040. Do they fit well? Will you recommend the l8r155 for M040?

I haven't tested them myself but when looking at the dimensions, they seem to fit well. Also, if you look two posts back, one other user is also using them with our M040 models.