Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Audiolab 8200CDQ -> 8050B : Which input sensitivity

sirlennart, modified 8 Years ago.

Audiolab 8200CDQ -> 8050B : Which input sensitivity

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 1/15/14 Recent Posts
Dear Forum,

the Audiolab's spec says that the output sensitivity respectively level for XLR (I'm using) is 4.1 Vrms +- 0.1 dB.

Grateful for a recommended input sensitivity I should apply!

Sorry in case this is a none sens question, tech nerd who is only listening via this incredible speakers.

Best regards,
Janko

Re: Audiolab 8200CDQ -> 8050B : Which input sensitivity

I follow the advise below, independent of the ALs specs.
Greetz
Janko

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Re: input sensitivity 8050

Postby Ilkka Rissanen on 14 Apr 2010, 12:04

Hello,

Basically you would like to set the input sensitivity so that the output voltage of the source device is able to push the speaker up to its limits.

The input sensitivity setting in Genelec speakers is defined as the level of the input signal required for 100 dB SPL at 1 meter distance. So if you set the sensitivity setting to the maximum i.e. -6 dBu, it means that the speaker outputs 100 dB SPL at 1 meter distance with -6 dBu input signal level. In another words, when the maximum output of the speaker is 110 dB or more, you will need at least +4 dBu signal to push the speaker up to its limits. With + 6dBu sensitivity setting (min) a level of +16 dBu would be required. If your source device isn't capable of outputting such signal levels, you should increase the sensitivity setting on the speaker.

Usually it's best to set the sensitivity to the max.

Clear as mud? :geek:

GENELEC
Ilkka Rissanen
R&D Engineer, Acoustics

... me again and sorry bothering you but:

... the Audiolab plays a CD and volume is at its lowest level (-80dB) and the 8050's input sensitivity is +6dBu. I would expect silence, but I can hear music, no idea how loud but it's present. Just wondering a bit as only muting on the AL would make everything silence (which of course is the quickest way instead of driving the volume level down). Keeping the sensitivity on -6dBu is almost concert level :mrgreen:

Not that it worries me but don't consider it "normal". Anyone with an explanation? The AL was used also for other monitors where I havn't observed such.

Greetz
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

As the maximum output voltage of the AL is 4.1Vrms which equals to ~14.5 dBu, you can set the input sensitivity to minimum (+ 6dBu) and you would still be able to drive the speakers loud enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range: "The 16-bit compact disc has a theoretical dynamic range of about 96 dB[11] for a triangle wave or 98 dB for sinusoidal signals[10] (see Quantization noise model). The perceived dynamic range of 16-bit audio can be as high as 120 dB with noise-shaped dither, taking advantage of the frequency response of the human ear.[12]"

That means that when the AL is able to attenuate the signal by 80 dB, the signal level is still high enough for you to hear it. You would need more attenuation or a full mute. Of course if the input sensitivity of the speakers is much lower, 80 dB of attenuation is enough for a "silence" but then again you wouldn't be able to play the speakers loud enough because the AL can offer only 80 dB of volume adjustment.

Hi,
... and thank you for the comprehensive explanation. Could not say that I've got it entirely first review but
feel now comfortable.

Danke and greetz,
Janko