Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Horizontal placement of G two allowed?

beck, modified 8 Years ago.

Horizontal placement of G two allowed?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/7/14 Recent Posts
Hello,

I'm building a 5.1 home theater system using G twos as LCR speakers. Due to restricted room both above and below the TV I would need to place the centre speaker horizontally, which was my plan all along as I understood that the Iso-Pod would allow this without any problems. After having read comments here and there I'm no longer sure. Will placing the centre speaker g two horizontally on the Iso-Pod distort the sound somehow?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: Horizontal placement of G two allowed?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
beck, modified 8 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/7/14 Recent Posts
Hello again,

Thanks for a quick reply. I noticed this info prior to posting on the forum. Is the situation the same even if the centre speaker is not placed on a table top/surface? Was planning on using Genelec wall mounting device, so there should not be any surface to reflect the sound, except the wall it is mounted on, but that should be too close to interfere, or?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

The latter part of the text is valid for any kind of installation placement.

"All spaced driver monitor solutions suffer from a notch in the frequency response when listening off-axis in the plane of the drivers. Positioning the monitor horizontally causes this notch to become audible when moving from left to right along the mixing desk. Positioning the monitor vertically removes this problem."

Having said that, I have seen many centre speakers being installed in horizontal position. You should test yourself if you can hear any difference.