Message Boards

5040a and F One in 2-sub-system

kimkorho, modified 8 Years ago.

5040a and F One in 2-sub-system

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 4/8/13 Recent Posts
I recently purchased two Genelec subs. The seller (HiFi-Studio Jyväskylä) had a showcase 5040a at a sale price. However, as I was interested in setting a two-sub-system, I wanted a pair of subs. The 5040 was the only one they had, but the sales person made an offer of F One to pair up with 5040. He told me the two are identical soundwise.

Setting up the system I found out that the satellite speaker connected to F One produces some 3dB lower SPL than the one connected via 5040 (Both connected through front left channel). Is this expected behaviour? If it is, the difference in SPL can naturally be levelled with adjustments. Yet, a question remains: are there other differences between the sound of these two subs and hence reasons to NOT use these two subs in 2-sub-configuration?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: 5040a and F One in 2-sub-system

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

That is not expected behaviour. Speakers should produce same SPL with both subwoofers. Have you checked that the system level is set to max with F One? Use the wireless remote to set it to max and test SPL again. If it's still lower, the subwoofer unit seems defected and needs service. You should contact the seller in that case.
kimkorho, modified 8 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 4/8/13 Recent Posts
Thank you for the reply. The remote is not communicating with the sub. I've now contacted the seller.

One more question: is it normal for the sub to send a pop to the main speaker when activated by audio signal?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

One more question: is it normal for the sub to send a pop to the main speaker when activated by audio signal?

Yes, it is possible that the F One sends slight 'pop' to the main speakers when being activated.