Message Boards

PowerMate muting speakers, changing GLM settings by itself

baguette, modified 8 Years ago.

PowerMate muting speakers, changing GLM settings by itself

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 6/24/09 Recent Posts
Hi there!

I have a setup that consists of a pair of 8240As, a 7260A, the GLM package and a Griffin PowerMate USB-controller. I'm very happy with my the performance of this setup in all respects but one: I'm experiencing a highly irritating and persistent problem with the PowerMate controlling GLM levels.

The problem is this: Initially everything always works as it should. But after a period of inactivity - i.e. using some other some application for approximately 5-10 minutes, not touching the PowerMate at all - and then attempting to lower the volume with the PowerMate, both 8240s go silent. Only the subwoofer continues playing the signal.

Turning up the volume again with the PowerMate returns the signal to the main speakers, but only back to the level they were at before I made my first adjustment. When this has happened, I can't alter the playback level anymore. Twisting the level down mutes the 8240s. Turning it up to where it was brings back the full range audio but it is fixed at the original level.

The phenomenon is system-wide and does not seem to be dependent in any way on what application I am using when the issue occurs.

Having suffered with this for awhile I set out to find out what is actually happening? I finally made the discovery that the item list in the "Groups" area of GLMs main window had changed and that the blue selection box had moved from "Stereo" to ""Right".

My normal "Groups" area list consists of the following items in the following order:

(blue "G" icon) Groups
(five speaker icon) Stereo <----- this item is selected
(Green "Ch" icon) Left (BM)
(Green "Ch" icon) Right (BM)
(five speaker icon) Left
(five speaker icon) Right

The "(five speaker icon) Stereo" item is selected - the icon has the blue box around it and the text is blue.

After the issue has manifested itself, the list has changed and looks like this:

(blue "G" icon) Groups
(five speaker icon) Stereo
(five speaker icon) Left
(five speaker icon) Right <----- this item is selected
(Green "Ch" icon) Right (BM)

In this case, the "(five speaker icons) Right" item is selected - the icon has the blue box around it and the text is blue. When I click the "(five speaker icon) Stereo" item the list returns to its normal state and the PowerMate/GLM returns to normal behaviour. After a little while, though, it all happens again.

The PowerMate is connected directly to a USB port at the back of my late 2012 iMac running OS X 10.8.4. The GLM interface box is hooked up to the Mac via USB (the problem occurs regardless if it's connected through a hub or directly to a port on the Mac). Naturally, the interface is also hooked up to the speaker network with Ethernet cables.

While searching for a solution, I've removed every single application preset in the PowerMate's System Utility panel . Having removed everything else, I finally also removed the list item for GLM itself that I found amongst the other applications in the panel list. As far as I can tell the PowerMate should not be controlling anything else now.

But the problem persists. What am I missing here? Do you have any idea of what's going on? How can the problem be solved?

Sincerely,

Baguette
baguette, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: PowerMate muting speakers, changing GLM settings by itse

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 6/24/09 Recent Posts
It's been a few months since I posted this and as my post clearly seems to have fallen between the cracks, I'll bump it now.

So, does anyone have any idea at all on what's going on here? This problem is rather disruptive to the workflow, to say the least...

More information needed, perhaps? I'm happy to provide it if someone is willing to help?

Cheers,

Baguette