Message Boards

7060a use with 8020a, level setting..

twestcott, modified 8 Years ago.

7060a use with 8020a, level setting..

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/7/13 Recent Posts
hi! just starting to put together a setup using 8020a's with a 7060a sub.

any recommendations for level setting with the sub? it will take some time to listen and get it matched nicely, but it would be helpful to have an idea of where to start, if there is an optimum setting for use with the smaller speakers.

very happy already with the clarity and imaging from the 8020's, i have a very small room and was using a pair of adam a7's (also great speakers!).. moving to smaller enclosures was a necessity, as i need to eventually be working with 4-6 channels in the same space.

cheers.

tim
hachre, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: 7060a use with 8020a, level setting..

Padawan Posts: 27 Join Date: 9/23/11 Recent Posts
You should have the speakers roll off their bass response below 80Hz and the subwoofer should be on the 80Hz setting.

You could measure the frequency response and set up the level exactly right through that, but I really recommend setting it up by ears instead. +- 1dB can be the difference between just right and too thin, too bassy. And what looks good on the chart doesn't have to feel right in your ears. And ultimately if it doesn't feel right you'll try to compensate for that in your Mixes or other work you're doing which results in things that don't translate.

Listen to some of your most favorite music that you really know well and keep adapting the level. After several songs you should have a level that seems to work well with all.
twestcott, modified 8 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/7/13 Recent Posts
thanks hachre, that's the approach i intended to take.

i was curious however, if, aside form the roll-off, if there was a specific level recommendation from genelec.. i've seen such recommendations before, IE for using the 5040 with the 8020's ("set volume at noon") etc..

but, ultimately, it will take a good amount of careful listening! now if only my wife was done remodelling the room ;)

cheers!

tim
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

5040 with the 8020's requires a special setting because the default input sensitivity is different between those models. But 7060A and 8020A are level matched so ideally both set to maximum input sensitivity should give you a good match. But since the room always boosts the low frequencies more than the rest, subwoofer needs to be attenuated a bit. Usually a level setting around 0 dBu works well in typical untreated rooms.