Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

DSP on 8200: how it works?

raindog, modified 9 Years ago.

DSP on 8200: how it works?

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 7/19/13 Recent Posts
Dear all

i'm interested to buy a couple of 8260a. I will have an htpc with a RME HDSPe AIO digital interface on board. I'm not interested to buy GLM or use it in the future. So my questions are:
1)Is it possible to connect to my RME directly to 8260a without GLM and exclude the DSP?
2)Is it possible to control the volume using for example Jriver (it has a good digital volume control on board) or other PC software?
Thank you to all of you.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: DSP on 8200: how it works?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

GLM (Genelec Loudspeaker Manager) is a package which consists out of PC/Mac control software, USB interface and measurement microphone. It is needed if you want to take full advantage of all the features a DSP speaker can offer, such as fully automated AutoCal room calibration procedure. It is possible to use the speaker without the GLM but then you are missing all the advanced DSP features. If you really want to do this, I have to ask; why?

GLM is the only way to control the volume internally, but of course if you vary the level of the input signal, the output signal (=SPL of the speaker) will follow. With analogue signals this is trivial, but I am not sure if RME HDSPe AIO allows its digital output level to be controlled through 3rd party software. It is possible through its own HDSP mixer though.