Message Boards

8260 A Wiring Diagram to convert rca to XLR

udayan, modified 8 Years ago.

8260 A Wiring Diagram to convert rca to XLR

Padawan Posts: 38 Join Date: 6/6/13 Recent Posts
Hello,

I am a happy owner of a pair of 8260A . My laptop is currently connected to the digital input. In addition, I would like to connect my TV to the analog input of the 8260A...

- Do the 8260A accept unbalanced signal on their analog input ?
- Is it possible to make an RCA to XLR "cable conversion" ?
- If yes what would be the wiring diagram ?
- How can I manage the choice of the sources (between laptop and TV) ?

Last newbie question : How is working the 12 volts trigger ?

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Cheers,

Udayan

Re: 8260 A Wiring Diagram to convert rca to XLR

Nobody ???
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

I am a happy owner of a pair of 8260A . My laptop is currently connected to the digital input. In addition, I would like to connect my TV to the analog input of the 8260A...

- Do the 8260A accept unbalanced signal on their analog input ?

Yes. It will accept it just fine.

- Is it possible to make an RCA to XLR "cable conversion" ?
- If yes what would be the wiring diagram ?

Yes. http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/conne ... rca-1.html

- How can I manage the choice of the sources (between laptop and TV) ?

You need to have the GLM control network connected and the GLM activated/on. In the GLM you need to make two different profiles, one with the digital inputs activated, and another with the analogue inputs activated. Notice that both can't be activated at the same time.

Another option is to buy a DAC with analogue inputs which you could use to route both signals to single input of the speaker. For example http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-hdr

Last newbie question : How is working the 12 volts trigger ?

The 12 volt trigger input has a relay which is in parallel connection with the actual mains switch. The relay activates (closes the connection and powers up the speaker) when a 12 volt signal (polarity has no effect) is being provided to the connector. When the 12 volt signal stops, the relay opens again and powers down the speaker.

Since the trigger relay is in parallel connection with the mains switch, the mains switch needs to be in OFF position for the trigger relay to operate properly. There is no dip switch or GLM function to activate it, it will always work.

Good evening,

Thank you very much for these very clear explanations.

Nevertheless, If I can bother you one more time, I still have another question. It refers to sources switching.

I am using my 8260's for domestic HIFI purpose. I have stored the room corrections determined by the GLM software into the speaker and I'm not using the GLM software for volume control. Instead I am using JRiver volume control.

Currently, I have an M2Tech USB key that remains permanently connected to the Genelec and plugged in my laptop only when I want to listen to music.

I plan to leave my TV wired to the analog input, and to take advantage of the digital entry priority over the analog one to switch automatically between inputs ?
Will it work or the fact to have a cable connected to the digital entry even without any digital signal is enough to lock the 8260 on their digital entry ?

In other words ; is the priority, connection dependent or signal dependent ?

Concerning the Benchmark, It is in my shortlist for a next buy...

Thank you in advance,

Cheers

Udayan
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello again,

Sorry for the late reply but I had to ask advice from my colleagues as this is somewhat unusual configuration. The suggested configuration will work as long as there is no digital signal (not even zeroes) playing. So the priority is signal, not connection dependent.

Thank you so much !

And sorry for this strange question !

Cheers,

Udayan.

P.S. : The 8260 are fantastic in HIFI use !!!