Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec Monitors: Question regarding noise

skar, modified 9 Years ago.

Genelec Monitors: Question regarding noise

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 3/9/13 Recent Posts
Hi,

I didnt find anything on google, youtube or the search funtion in this forum, so i hope somebody cna help me.

I recently tried some active monitors (in a similar price bracket as the 6010) and even though the sound was great there was a constant background noise coming from the active monitors, even when no signal was played, and it was simply too annoying for me as i could hear it clearly.

I googled some more and often read that active speakers simply would have noise.
The 6010A seem to be the recommended model for my room size (~16-20sqm).

How do the Genelec perform in regards of constant noise as soon as they are powered on?

I really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
mattipuh, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: Genelec Monitors: Question regarding noise

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 1/12/13 Recent Posts
Have you checked it is not from the signal source? In my setup apple tv signal s/pdif produces much more noise in the background than the usb input from cpu.

You can test this by unplugging the Genelecs from the source and listen if theres any noise.

Hi Mattipuh,

Thanks for your reply.

I dont have the genelecs yet, I simply wanted to know if i have to expect constant background noise.
mattipuh, modified 9 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 1/12/13 Recent Posts
At least the 8030s doesnt't have any if DACs usb input is used.

This is as far as i can tell not related to the dac but to the amplifier thats present in all active monitors.

So to put it simply: Do the genelec monitors create audible noise when no signal is played?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Self generated noise level for Genelec speakers is in the range of 5-10 dB (@ 1 meter distance, A weighted) which means that you need to be in a quiet room and put your ear pretty much next to the speaker in order to hear it. It is not audible from a distance. If there is audible noise coming out of Genelec speakers, it is generated by the device(s) connected to the speakers, not by the speakers themselves.

Thank you very much.

I actually checked further on the web and 10dB(A) from 1m seems to be quite audible.
5dB(A) would be probably much better for me.

are there specific models that are on the known to be on the low side of the noise level?

I was actually looking into the 6010A or 8020B but I do sit in only 1 - maybe 1.5m - distance and am now worried about the noise level.

Hi,

Can you point me to the source which states that 10 dB(A) is audible at 1 meter distance?

Thanks!

Hi,

sure: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TabelleDerSchallpegel.htm

However it is German.

It compares 10 dB (not weighted A) with "rustling of leaves" - similar page in english:
http://www.hearingaidknow.com/2007/03/0 ... on-sounds/

However I would easily take your word for it if you tell i wont hear it :).

Hi,

Thank you! Unfortunately that kind of tables are very rough and should not be taken literally. It is very difficult to measure low SLP because it will require good equipment and also a very quiet environment. Typical background noise in a quiet room is around 30 dB! Anything lower than that requires a laboratory type environment.

I can assure that you can't hear any noise from 6010A or 8020B at 1-1.5 meter distance. :)

I try to convince the taiwan distributor to let me test a set of 8020 just to be sure :).