Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec G two vs. 8020B

mpeee, modified 9 Years ago.

Genelec G two vs. 8020B

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 2/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi,

I've been looking for reviews and information about how these two speakers actually differ from each other? What are the key differences (technically and especially "soundly" speaking)?

Thanks a lot!
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: Genelec G two vs. 8020B

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

G Two was just recently released so maybe that's why you won't find much reviews yet. But here are the technical differences. Sound quality wise there is no difference at all.

G Two:
RCA input connector
Home audio series input sensitivity (-10 dB)
White LED
Intelligent Signal Sensing
"Clean" front panel
Tabletop room EQ setting
LED off setting
All cables are colour matched

8020B:
XLR input connector
Professional series input sensitivity (+10 dB)
Green LED
No ISS
Volume control knob on the front panel
No tabletop room EQ
No LED off setting
Black power cables for all
maha, modified 9 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 6/17/13 Recent Posts
Same question for Genelec G four vs. 8040A (or B nowadays).

I have two existing 8040A's (with 7060B). I'm planning to get two more of the 8040's, so will it be OK to get the G fours? What is the difference between G four and 8040?

And where to find the Datasheet for G four as I could not find it in the Genelec web pages or detailed photo showing how the back panel looks?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
G Four:
RCA and XLR input connector
Home audio series input sensitivity (-10 dB compared to professional level) with optional +10 dB switch
White LED
Intelligent Signal Sensing
Tabletop room EQ setting
LED off setting
Colour matched power cable

8040A:
XLR input connector
Professional series input sensitivity
Green LED
No ISS (8040B has ISS)
No tabletop room EQ
No LED off setting
Black power cable

Here is the operation manual, but you are correct, it doesn't have the picture of the G Four back panel.

http://www.genelec.com/documents/opmans ... _opman.pdf
lamikr, modified 9 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 7/6/13 Recent Posts
So I conclude from above that 8040B vs G comparison:

8240B
- No RCA
- No possibility turn led off
+ professional level input sensitivity,
+ cheaper

Can I connect sound from my TV's RCA to 8040B's XLR connector by using 8 euro RCA2XLR adabper without problem? If adapter is good, are there any noticeable sound quality problems compared to case where I would connect the TV's RCA to G Fours RCA?

Then this another difference that I do not understand is this Home Audio series input sensity in G four (- 10 db) compared to professional level input sensivity in 8040B. Does this affect to sound quality in this case I connect TV directly with RCA to speaker? And if I enable the +10 db switch from G Four, what is then the difference compared to 8040B?
hachre, modified 9 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 27 Join Date: 9/23/11 Recent Posts
It means that the input on the pro speaker expects a line signal to have a certain voltage. If you feed in a signal that is output at line level from your TV it will arrive at the input with much lower than expected voltage because consumer line level standards are different. So even though the TV sends a full line level in its terms, the speaker receives a rather puny signal in its terms.

This means the output from the speaker will be a lot lower in volume than it should be. You might have to crank up the volume on your speaker and it might still be too silent. In that case you'd need some kind of preamp to further boost the signal before it goes into the speaker.

There is no degradation in quality, just in maximum volume.