Message Boards

8040a setting the switch right.

mediabcd, modified 8 Years ago.

8040a setting the switch right.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 12/23/12 Recent Posts
We are just finishing up the mixing room here, the room is not yet treated but I wanted to do a bit of control before since I do have to do some stuff before we can finally treat the room. The room is smallish I'd say with 14.8' long by 10.3' wide.

We have a custom made desk as you can see with the following pics, and it and the 8040 are set at 1' from the wall.

I was following the quick setup sheet that came with the genelecs 8040a but it's slightly confusing.

First how do I know if I actually selected -4? there doesn't seem to be a notch indicator stating where it was, just the screwdriver line to turn the knob.

Second, if I get the sheet right, from the setup I have here, I need to set the desktop control to 4?

Would be nice to have a bit more information on what each selectors do. Thanks in advance for any help in setting the temporary settings and explaining the selectors behind the monitors.

PS yeah it's in front of a window, but I am getting a 32 ounce acoustics stage curtain that should help not counting the bass traps, diffusors and absorbers that I will be installing soon.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Re: 8040a setting the switch right.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Have you already checked the operating manual too? http://www.genelec.com/documents/opmans ... _8050a.pdf

It will tell you much more about the different settings than the simple quick setup guide.

Input sensitivity can be set to maximum (-6 dBu) unless you feel there is too much gain. Tone control dip switches have many different settings and I can only give you general recommendations. For a professional result, the system should always be measured acoustically with for example WinMLS or RoomEQWizard.

I would start with desktop control ON and -4 dB bass tilt. So when looking at the speaker's back side, flick dip switch number 4 up on the left group, and dip switch number 3 up on the center group.

Thank you , no I had not read that document through fully yet, I skimmed it but I guess I passed over the points that I was looking for :oops:

I will try that setting, and yes I'm planning on doing a control scan before and after the room treatment, just that for what I need to do at the moment, it's not critical that I do. I will how ever add the 3rd setting you mentionned. Thank you again.

I do wonder how ever, how do you set a -2 if your knob is already at -4?

I do wonder how ever, how do you set a -2 if your knob is already at -4?

I think you are referring to the input sensitivity knob which can only have one position, for example -6 dBu. Additionally there are multiple dip switches which can have either 0 or 1 position. There are different dip switches for different settings, for example -2 dB bass tilt and -4 dB bass tilt.

Oh, I see, but how would I know which is -2 then? I know it's ludicrous but sometimes I'm not that visual.. kinda why I'm in Audio :D

Have you looked at the back side of your speakers? There is a sticker which describes all the functions that each dip switch perform. You might not see the sticker if it's very dark, in that case apply some light to the recessed part where the dip switches are located.

Have you looked at the back side of your speakers? There is a sticker which describes all the functions that each dip switch perform. You might not see the sticker if it's very dark, in that case apply some light to the recessed part where the dip switches are located.

I have, I also see numbers that are associated with those function like base tilt ect, which are 1, 2, 3, 4 but nothing that would express -2db as proposed earlier. Unless the 2 is the equivalent of the -2, but then you have the base roll off and desktop control that uses some of the same dip switch.

Hi,

Please see the attached picture. I am talking about the sticker that is visible there. Are your speakers missing it?

oh.. never saw them yeah I guess I had to shine a light there :oops: