Message Boards

Question about 8250A with AES - Red LED

johnnnny, modified 8 Years ago.

Question about 8250A with AES - Red LED

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 12/17/12 Recent Posts
Hi

I have recently purchased a pair of Genelec 8250A's for my home studio.
I work with my band mate, mainly on electronic dance music.

This is the first time we have upgraded our studio. We have been running a Duet 2 into a pair of Rokit 5's for over a year now, and have decided to go all digital for this setup.

We now have an RME Fireface UFX, running the single AES output to the left channel, and from there to the right.
We use the GLM network interface as well, daisy-chained in the same way, with the GLM software always running.

Given what I have read online and in the manual, I have set up the UFX to send the computers general output at -0 db to the AES channel, and set the AES channel to -0 db as well, as to control volume solely through GLM as was advised in the manual here:
http://i.imgur.com/jPI5L.png

That being said, I have listened to many modern electronic dance records and have found that the LED turns red, more often than not, even at low levels.

To clarify, the RME also detects overloads as well, but that is likely due to the reference tracks being heavily mastered and usually clipping digitally.

This is how I have the UFX set up:
http://i.imgur.com/a665R.png

As you can see, the computer output is routed (on it's own) to the AES channel, both of which are set to -0 db.

On another note, whenever the UFX detects an overload, the Genelecs do every time. Sometimes, however, the Genelec LED goes red while the UFX detects a peak of 0.0.

Is there something else I should do? Would it be okay to lower the volume of the AES out on the UFX in this case, perhaps to -1.0 just to avoid those clips? Perhaps something obvious that I am missing here.

I also don't quite understand this part, as it seems to conflict with the previous section that states to keep the digital level as high as possible:
http://i.imgur.com/el9JS.png

All else aside, these monitors are absolutely incredible, and I'm simply hoping to get the very most out of this great investment.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Question about 8250A with AES - Red LED

Any information on this would be greatly helpful...
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

red light means that the digital signal is clipping (limit is -0.1 dBFS). You should try lower the level of the AES out on the UFX and see if that helps.

Hi Ilkka,

That is the solution that I have been using in the meantime, setting the output to about -2.0 seemed to be sufficient.

I just wanted to make sure that there would be no quality degradation, given that the manual recommends leaving all outputs at -0.0 to prevent data loss, as I understand it.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
There won't be any quality degradation whatsoever with that kind of attenuation, no need to worry at all! :)

Thank you very much for that clarification.
I still have more to learn about this new digital setup.

Thanks again and happy holidays!