Message Boards

2 x 8020B + 7050B dip switches

photony, modified 9 Years ago.

2 x 8020B + 7050B dip switches

Youngling Posts: 19 Join Date: 11/20/11 Recent Posts
Hi,
I have been experimenting with the dip switches of the setup in the subject. Originally I had only a pair of 8020B speakers with bass-tilt set at -4dB on the left and -2dB on the right speaker. With this setting I can't hear "bass boom" when listening in my listening room.

Recently I purchased 7050B that I use with the 8020Bs. I have turned the bass roll-off on on the 8020Bs. My question is the following. Should I still use -4dB on the left and -2dB on the right 8020B? I know that the operating manual of 8020B (http://www.genelec.com/documents/opmans/OM8020B.pdf, page 4) suggests this. On the other hand, the frequency response graph on the page 6 of that same manual shows that bass roll-off and bass tilt have attenuating effect on an overlapping frequency range. I am wondering what is the combined effect of bass tilt and bass roll-off on the overlapping range.

I have experimented with different dip switches on the 8020B. I like setting the where the bass tilt on the left speaker is set to -2dB and the on right to -0dB. The bass roll-off is also on on both speakers. If I turn off the 7050B and use these settings, I can't hear the "bass boom", which is different to the situation I mentioned above.

So, in the situation I described, should I trust my ears or the operating manual? Is there something else to consider than the "bass boom" when deciding on the settings? Is there any frequency response graphs available for the setup 2 x 8020B with 7050B? Is the combined effect of bass roll-off and bass-tilt linear? That is, can I sum up the effect of bass-tilt and bass roll-off in the freq. res. graph on the operating manual of 8020B to have the combined effect?

Thanks a lot!

-Tony
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: 2 x 8020B + 7050B dip switches

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Tony,

you should trust your ears. :) Once you engage the bass roll-off dip, a crossover is being placed at 85 Hz which might already take care of the bass boom (of course it is possible that the subwoofer has a similar kind of boom). Bass tilt is mainly used for attenuating the wide band bass and midrange boost that becomes evident when the speaker is placed next to boundary, usually a wall. If the speaker is placed further away from the walls, it is more common to get only bass boost (below ~100 Hz) or a combination of these. 8040A and larger models have slightly different kind of bass roll-off settings which are meant for that kind of situation.

The combined response of the 8020B and 7050B is flat in an anechoic environment, but of course the room will affect to this. The combined effect of bass roll-off and bass tilt is linear, so you can sum up the effect.

Hope this helps!
photony, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: 2 x 8020B + 7050B dip switches

Youngling Posts: 19 Join Date: 11/20/11 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,
And thank you for the swift reply! Your reply was helpful and gives me piece of mind :) Maybe your answer could also be commented in the future operating manuals of 8020B and 7050B.

With the current settings the system sounds great. I highly recommend for anyone with the same or a similar setup to experiment with the dip switches. It takes some time, but it is really worth it. Also the placement of 7050B is a delicate manner, where even slight changes in placement can make significant changes to the sound of the system.

In the future I still might upgrade to 8030As, but now with the current settings I have to do more work to convince myself that there really is a need for the upgrade ;)

Thanks again Ilkka and Gelenec.

-Tony