Message Boards

8020 or 8030 pair ...

biowizard, modified 9 Years ago.

8020 or 8030 pair ...

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 11/21/12 Recent Posts
Yes, I'm new here. Yes, I bet this question has been asked 1000 times. But trust me, I've been walking all over GoogleSpace for a week doing as much research as I can ...

... which is why, out of all the powered near-field monitors in the world, I now have decided I need EITHER a pair of 8020Bs OR a pair of 8030As.

I will be using these for THREE purposes, quite possibly in different locations:

1) In my study/office/studio, where I use several computers in a small (3.5x3.5m square) room, writing and auditioning music in Finale, with Garritan GPO4.

2) Various venues (study, see above, rehearsal halls) as stereo monitors for one of my keyboard synths (Yamaha S90ES)

3) Remote location recording, to hear/play back/demo stuff I capture in concert halls or wherever on a Tascam HD/P2, recorded through a matched pair Rode NT5 mics.

Simply, will the 8030s be overkill for what I need? Will the 8020s suffice? Or will I always be kicking myself for not having ponied up for the large, more expensive option?

Genuine advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: 8020 or 8030 pair ...

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Brian,

You should obviously take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have never heard of any customer who had been disappointed should he had selected the bigger one of the two options. 8030A is definitely not an overkill for your applications, but 8020B might struggle a bit to fill a larger venue such as a rehearsal hall. Of course the weight difference between them is quite substantial so you might want to consider that if you need to move them a lot. But still my personal choice would be the 8030A. :) I am sure you won't regret it.