Message Boards

Speaker Mix for surround?

big-k, modified 9 Years ago.

Speaker Mix for surround?

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 10/21/12 Recent Posts
Hello dear colleagues at Genelec and members of this forum.
After many years of owning and using Genelc speakers I only just now came to a question that led me to your forum:
I am about to build a secondary mixing room for 5.1 surround works and I wonder if it is, at all, advisable to mix the 8250A ( for L+R ) with already existing 1031A's for center and surrounds. The room acoustic is professional and speaker positioning is optimal, yet, not flush mount. Level adjustment will, of course, be done adequately. Room size approx. 50 cubic meter. The work we plan for this room is for Television and DVD stuff, many of which will be upmixed from stereo signal.
Cheers, Big K
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: Speaker Mix for surround?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hey,

I would recommend keeping the 1031A's as surrounds but updating the front (LCR) to 8200-series speakers, preferably 8250A. Coherence between left/right and center is very important, and therefore having different speakers for those channels is not recommended. Especially when we are now comparing a much older design to a new DSP speaker. Of course you are welcome to test how the 1031A would work as a center but I have a feeling you will end up upgrading that too. :)

Hello Illka
Thanks for your answer.
I guess, you are right. Sooner or later we will upgrade the whole room to the new DSP powered Gens, anyway.
I'll keep the 1031s for surrounds and get me 3 8250As for LCR, as you recommended.

I have another little question, since I am writing, already.
A few months ago one of the little Genelec name stickers from a 1031 has obviously fallen off, probably went straight into thea vacuum cleaner and is gone for good.
Can I obtain a replacement for that? Looks much nicer, when the Speaker is "complete".

Regards from Munich
Big K
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
You should contact your local distributor. I'm sure they will be able to provide you the logo sticker.

Audio Export Georg Neumann & Co GmbH
Postfach 5021, 74082 Heilbronn, Germany
T + 49 7131 263 200
F F: + 49 7131 2636100
W http://www.audioexport.de
E info@audioexport.de

Great!
I'll contact them.

CYA, Big K