Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

5040 position with 8030´s

eramikkola, modified 9 Years ago.

5040 position with 8030´s

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 10/14/12 Recent Posts
Hi. I didnt find similar topic so apologies if doubling a topic...

I have a small appr 14 m2 project studio and I am using 8030´s together with 5040 subwoofer. I have followed nice guidelines from this forum for setting up.. not checked the phase yet. But on everything "off" they both work really good together..I have lowered 8030´s volume to 12 o´clock and my sub volume is at appr 9 o´clock (from scale to 0-12).I have very good nearfield listening @ sweet spot. Just what I have expected 8-)

Here are my room meaurements http://spacewhale.fi/wp-content/uploads ... _plan1.png and here is a picture from the door,(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater). Hope you can see the FB photo ;)

The walls are no big problems because the back wall is light padded material letting the bass waves out from the room.. The placing measures are from cardas.com (great site, recommending highly, http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area= ... pagestring)..

Question: Before I test the phase I am wondering the best place for the subwoofer.. Someone said that it might be best to place it near the front wall, and the other has an opinion that it should be on the centerline appr. as far away from the sweet spot as the main monitors are. I have tested both positions and I find the "wall" position better for the sweet spot (all dips off) and the position under the working table is better for the room allover (a tad lower volume).

Any opinions anyone? Gonna make a decision before testing the sub´s phase and start working for other people.. Thank you.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: 5040 position with 8030´s

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Era,

Have you already checked our general placement recommendations for subwoofers?

http://www.genelec.com/documents/opmans/OM5040a.pdf

Hi Ilkka. Yes I have. Thanks. And I think I have found the smoothest place in my room which is almost in the centerline and appr. 1m from the front wall..(see the pic.). The gain is appr. -4-6db.. I am quite happy and I think I can trust the room not adding too much to the music. I also placed tight rolls of rugs in the corners of the room for "poor man style" basstraps.

I can recommend every 8030 owner this setup, at least it works here in my project room just great. Cheers!

OK. Fine tuning says that the sub is a tad better in distance 60 cm from the front wall, centerlined!.. It is pretty delicate tuning with the gain. Maybe you guys @ G could add in future a marking to the gain pot. Now I am hopping constantly from my sweet spot to the sub and.. - well you know.. I even think the phase checking is not necessary. Gonna leave every dip off for now. Absolutely - hands down - really great, natural and even sound in the room now. With my setup I reach easily 100db RMS @ sweetie.. as that is said I love the room specially lovely around @ 85 db RMS :)

Anyone having 8030 w.5040 subwoofer set up under work I gladly help. Send me email: era@spacewhale.fi
eramikkola, modified 5 Years ago.

Hi, just simple tightly packed rolls placed upright position in the backside corners of the room, behind these Ikea shelves :) DYI as its best. Happy New Year!!!