Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Installing 8030A/8020Bs up high on wall?

anttip, modified 10 Years ago.

Installing 8030A/8020Bs up high on wall?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/27/12 Recent Posts
Hello.

I'm considering buying 3 x 8030A and 2 x 8020B for home theater use and also for listening to (2-channel) music. I'll buy subwoofer later on, if needed.

Due to room size limitations and other practical reasons I would like to install speakers up high on wall. Listening point is approx 3.2 meters from front speakers (horizontally measured) and room height is 2.5 meters. If I use maximum 15 degrees vertical tilt mentioned in Genelec Monitor Setup Guide, I could install front speakers to height of 2 meters. I'd probably have to install center speaker a little bit higher, above the video projector screen.

I have found very little information about high wall installations and I don't know where I could listen this kind of setup in real life so I still have few doubts about the problems this might cause...

- How does this kind of setup sound compared to norm 1.2 meter high, straight forward setup?
- How easily I can locate the sound source high on wall?
- What about reflections from the ceiling? Distance to ceiling would be less than 0.5 meters.
- Why speaker vertical tilt is limited to 15 degrees? How does it affect sound if I use larger tilt?

Br, Antti
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Installing 8030A/8020Bs up high on wall?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

- How does this kind of setup sound compared to norm 1.2 meter high, straight forward setup?

Hi Antti,

it is rather difficult to answer to this question. For sure it will sound little different due to the location of the speakers. The location of the stereo image will be higher and it may be little less focused.

- How easily I can locate the sound source high on wall?

You will notice the location of the sound source especially when listening to material without picture. The visual cues from the screen trick our brains to think that the sound comes from the place of the visual elements which will reduce the effect of having the speaker up high.

- What about reflections from the ceiling? Distance to ceiling would be less than 0.5 meters.

Reflections are as harmful as in more typical placements. Having the speaker tilted down will reduce the ceiling reflection but it doesn't hurt to add some acoustical treatment on the ceiling.

- Why speaker vertical tilt is limited to 15 degrees? How does it affect sound if I use larger tilt?

The 15 degree tilt limitation concerns placement at typical height. A tilt higher than this would lead to a strong floor reflection. You can use a tilt higher than this with ceiling placement.
anttip, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Installing 8030A/8020Bs up high on wall?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/27/12 Recent Posts
Thank you for the reply! I still have some time to plan my living room as I think I'll get new G Two and G Three speakers after they're released :)