Message Boards

Volume control/preamp for Genelec 8040a

suchy, modified 9 Years ago.

Volume control/preamp for Genelec 8040a

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 5/16/12 Recent Posts
Dear Genelec users,

I am turning to you with a great request for advice.
I have recently bought a cd player and I intend to connect it to my Genelec 8040a monitors. I tried to connect the cd player to Genelecs straight using short rca to xlr adaptor and long xlr-xlr cable from adaptor to monitors. The signal I was getting was not loud enough to listen anything. Despite the fact that I will need some sort of volume controler as the cd player does not have it, I am also confused if the low signal level is due to bad cable connection (rca to xlr) or do I need to buy a preamp to drive the signal from unbalanced to balanced.
Does anyone have any idea if SPL Volume 2 product is the answer to my problem or do I need a proper preamp ?
I am thinking of getting a Benchmark HDR in the future and I am sure it will solve my problem, however I will have to save some money for a while, so any temporary solutions are very welcome.

Below you will find the description of cd player outputs as well as SPL volume 2 ins and outs:

cd-player rca unbalanced output level: 2 Vrms (10 kΩ)

SPL Volume 2:
Nominal Input Level: +4 dBu
Input Impedance: =22 kOhm
Output Impedance: ‹ 600 Ohm
Max. Input Level: › +20 dBu
Volume Gain: ∞ to -4 dB

Sincerely,

Kuba Suski
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Re: Volume control/preamp for Genelec 8040a

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Dear Kuba,

It is strange that you weren't getting enough output because it should be the other way around when connecting a CD player straight to the speakers without any volume control. Can you tell me the brand and model of the CD player you are using? Maybe it has variable level outputs?