Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8020B Mounting - which is better?

zzero101, modified 5 Years ago.

8020B Mounting - which is better?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 4/17/12 Recent Posts
I've just purchased my first set of monitors - a pair of 8020B's, and am designing a more suitable home studio.
I've looked at some of the reference material and forum topics about mounting, but still can't seem to get a definitive answer to this question:
Given a correct placement setup (symmetrical, 30˚ from centre, aligned in an equilateral triangle to listening position, heights adjust to the acoustic axis), is it better to use the iso-pod mounts, or use the mic stand fitting? Which method gives best isolation and least cancelation. I have attached images of the potential setup.

Secondary question: can anyone suggest a low tech, low cost, minimal type of sound insulation, to stop me annoying the neighbours on the facing wall? (Wall 1)
1038, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: 8020B Mounting - which is better?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi zzero,

I would recommend using the iso-pods, the main benefit being the ability to tilt the speaker to retain vertical on axis listening.

I usually recommend that the installed height of the speaker be above seated ear height, 1200mm from the floor is typically what we try to achieve, if you are sitting very close, 1200mm might be a little high.

Whilst you are setting up your room, it may be a good idea to set the speakers up at various heights and listen to how they perform in your room at these different heights.

With the frequency plots Genelec have released showing the benefits of using their new table stands, it clearly demonstrates the important advantages of getting your speakers away from large reflective surfaces.