Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8030A wall mount and dip switches

gwyn, modified 10 Years ago.

8030A wall mount and dip switches

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 2/8/12 Recent Posts
I've just purchased a pair of the fantastic 8030A monitors. Space is a bit limited for me (it's a home studio) and I'll be listening at the minimum 70cm distance (Having placed them on my desk I've discovered that I'll need to put them onto 8000-412B wall mounts to ensure that my ear is aligned to the acoustic axis). I've therefore bought the wall mounts and have a couple of questions before I install them:

(1) What is the ideal distance between the 8030As at a listening distance of 0.7m?
(2) What is the recommended tone control when using wall mounts (I'm guessing this would be the 'Against a wall' setting referred to in the quick setup guide.

Many thanks for your help.

Gwyn
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: 8030A wall mount and dip switches

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Gwyn,

1) http://www.genelec.fi/documents/catalog ... e_2011.pdf Ideally you should have a 60° angle between your speakers which means that the distance between the speakers should equal to the distance from your head to each speaker.

2) Yes, 'against a wall' setting will usually work well. If the bass sounds too weak and/or the speaker sounds too bright, try -4 dB or -2 dB bass tilt instead.
hezor, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 10/12/15 Recent Posts
Hi,

I just got myself three 8030A's. I'm going to wall mount them with 8000-412B's into a concrete wall. The height from the floor will be give-or-take 1,5 metres for every speaker. I guess the center and the right speaker should be configured with -6dB Bass Tilt (of course, I need to listen this with different DIP settings first and set it the way I prefer most) as per Genelec's recommendation.

But, my left speaker will be in a corner (mounted against the same wall as the center and right speakers, but there is a perpendicular concrete wall next to the speaker), so if I understood correctly the different setup materials provided by Genelec, the bass will be boosted +12dB in this scenario. So is there a handy way to reduce the bass for the left speaker as much as -12dB? Or should I just keep the center and right speakers in their default DIP settings (bass boosted +6dB) and set the left speaker to -6dB (bass boosted +6dB).

Or if I'm talking total nonsense here, please correct me. :)

Thanks!

-hege
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

-12 dB is mostly theoretical boost which doesn't necessarily happen in real life. I would start with -4 dB tilt on all of them and just listen and test different settings. Try to adjust the left speaker to sound as similar as possible to the center and right with the settings available.
hezor, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 10/12/15 Recent Posts
Hi,

Ok, will do that. Thank you very much!

-hege