Message Boards

8250a Digital Connections

thope, modified 9 Years ago.

8250a Digital Connections

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 11/27/11 Recent Posts
Hi There,

I've been extremely happy with my 8250's since i got them a couple of weeks ago. I've been using the analogue i/p until now because i've been waiting for my digital cables to arrive. They finally came today and i've not had much luck getting it all to work.

I connected everything as you would expect -

Digital out on a dusb snake from avid HD omni interface. the dsub terminates in 4 male and 4 female xlrs. I've used plugged a aes-ebu digital cable into channel 1-2 of the snake and the other end into the right speaker. I've then plugged a digital aes-ebu cable from the thru connector to the left speaker. Autocal runs as normal and when you click "finish" and the GLM sotware enters the main page i get both LED's on the speakers flashing red with no output. I removed the xlr cable, and plugged the snake directly into the back of the right speaker and the LED's turned green. So, i'm guessing its some kind of clocking issue. Even though the LED's are green i still get no output. When i start playback in pro tools and i increase the monitor level the LED's very quickly go soild red as if the amps are overloading, but i'm still not hearing anything. I used to monitor with the level on the omni at around 85 spl and the LED's on the 8250's go red when the level is set to around 49 spl.

I've left all the DIP swtches set in the off position as i've got the network interface connected. I've also disconnected the network interface and set the speakers to run in stored mode with the AES dIP switches set accordingly with no change.

Any help appreciated

Re: 8250a Digital Connections

so no body has any suggestions....
exxiille, modified 9 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 7/5/10 Recent Posts
A few things as I was just going through this with my own set of speakers and sub. First the questions. Do you have the GLM network hooked up via ethernet cables and the GLM soundcard? You will need this to control the volume with the software and also to calibrate your system. Second Is the DSUB you purchased the correct standard? From the diagram in the HD omni manual on page 51 it looks like the pinout is of Tascam standard. Make sure you do not have a cable with the Yamaha standard pinout. After you verify those things to be in order, make sure you have the AES cable connected correctly from the DSUB snake to your first speaker. If you are going single wire to your first speaker, you will need to connect to channel labeled 5 on your snake or it may be labeled output 1/2. The speaker that is first connected in the chain does not matter however, I tend to connect all network cables in the same order as I did the AES cables. Finally within the hardware setup panel of Pro Tools you have to make sure you change output 1/2 from analog 1/2 to Digital AES or all formats 1/2 which is usually by default placed on output 9/10 (im not sure as I use a lynx aurora with PTHD) under the digital tab make sure AES is selected as the standard. Or if you would like to keep your hardware setup the same, on the track you would like to hear make sure your output is set to 9/10. If you would like to use analog speakers along side the digital speakers in your room, you can have both running in parallel. The process is, select analog 1/2 then hold down the control button on your keyboard and select digital 1/2 you will see both with a check mark next to them press ok or apply. In your i/o set up as well as the hardware pane you will now see a + symbol after output 1/2 this means you are routing the signal from Pro Tools to both analog 1/2 and digital 1/2 at the same time.

Hope this helps I kind of had to pick my way through my troubles by myself.

Thanks for all your suggestions . I have set my i/o correctly though, and my digital snake is wired correctly for pro tools. I managed to get it working yesterday. I replaced my expensive digital aes/ebu 110 ohm digital cable with a crappy old standard mic lead and it all worked perfectly!

T