Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Replacement of 8040A with 8050A

eduardoc, modified 10 Years ago.

Replacement of 8040A with 8050A

Youngling Posts: 22 Join Date: 11/3/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

I use a pair of 8040A in my lounge room for listenning to music and watching TV. Even if my room is not acoustically
treated, it is really nice to use this system. My room is about 170/200m3. So I know that my speakers are too small to correctly fill my room. I have the opportunity to buy some 8050A. Will I really get more bass with 8" drivers and a more powerfull system ?

Sometimes (considering the price of your bigger systems that is too expensive for me), I wonder if I should look at a classical HiFi system (not for quality purpose!) to find something powerfull enough to fill my room at an accessible price ? I know that 8050A can give 120dB SPL at maximum and 110db SPL in average. What should I consider to make a correct choice ?

Thank you for your answer!

Cédric (France)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Replacement of 8040A with 8050A

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello Cédric,

I'm not if I understand you correctly, you say that it is really nice to use this system, but then suspect that it might not be powerful enough to fill up your space?

The 8050A will produce approximately 5 dB maximum output and also more extended bass response than the 8040A. This is clearly noticeable difference, but of course it is quite difficult to say if it enough for you.

If it's the bass that is lacking now, a subwoofer would be an obvious choise. It also helps the speakers to provide more maximum SPL. Genelec 7070A would be a suitable subwoofer for your room.

Hello Ikaa!

I had the impression that you were a bit disappointed by my message so I I am going to explain it in an another way.

First of all, I consider that Genelec products are great engineered systems. Three years ago I was looking for a stereo system (for the first time in fact!). Being an engineer (in the mechanical domain : vibrations, forces, ...) I was seduced by professional system and then I discovered active (that's the keyword!) speakers. Thank you for your learning center and all the informations that can be found on your website.

Concerning my 8040A, I want to say that they are wonderful and so precise! What I want to say is only that in a room of 200m3, it is difficult to have the feeling of being enveloped by sound (I know it is not really scientifical, it is just a feeling). To get this you need some speakers with big drivers or speakers with multiple drivers and dedicated amplifiers (1039A ?).

So today, what I want to do is to increase a little bit the size of my system. I think that 8050A should be a great choice as you say that the difference with 8040A is clearly noticeable. I would also appreciate to have more extended bass response as I love hip-hop and electronic music...

I won't use a subwoofer as it would not be easy to integrate this in my room (it is not a studio!).

Thank you again!

Let me know your feeling ;-)

Cédric
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Not disappointed, just a bit confused! :)

Ok, I got it now. Yes of course 8050A would give you more of everything but I am just a bit concerned if the difference is large enough for you? If you really want to get a big sound, you should step up to one of our 3-way speakers, for example 1037C or 1038B.

Thank you Ilkka,

I will have to wait a little bit to buy such speakers, but it's the right thing to do if I want a big sound ( a Genelec one of course :D ).