Message Boards

Digital Monitor contoller

thope, modified 10 Years ago.

Digital Monitor contoller

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 11/27/11 Recent Posts
Hi all,

I'm very interested in purchasing the 8250A as part of a studio upgrade. Only one thing isn't clear regarding the system. Is there still no simple monitor control solution from Genelec? I intend to use the GLM software only to calibrate the monitors in the room and then save those settings to the speaker. The speaker/room dont change so i see no reason to have to always have the GLM software running in the background. Controlling the monitoring volume from pro tools isn't a great option either.

The room that the speakers will go in also doubles as a video editing suite so its also paramount that i can easily switch between different digital sources. I've looked around at the dedicated monitor controllers out there and it seems like while they all have impressive digital i/p but they only o/p an analogue signal. I want to avoid another DA stage.

Any help or suggestions would be great

T
thope, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Digital Monitor contoller

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 11/27/11 Recent Posts
Anyone....

It's clear that the folks from Genelec are aware of this deficiency in their otherwise excellent product line. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. The Dynaudio air range have had this problem sorted from at least 2004. When you're paying $6000 USD for a set of speakers you'd expect to be able to control the volume in a simple and effective way!

I've seen the mods talking about devices such as the KRK ergo.

Ikka... Any plans to put out something like this?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Digital Monitor contoller

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

You are being right that unfortunately we do not have that kind of product available. It may not be a great comfort for you, but it seems we are not the only one, digital monitor controllers with a nice big knob for volume are extremely rare. Google brought up this old thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... akers.html

To my understanding KRK Ergo accepts digital signal (S/PDIF) but has only analog outputs.