Message Boards

Monitor Break-in ... Myth or Mantra ?!?!

auralphoenix, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 11/10/11 Recent Posts

Hey Everyone,
I am happy, :D and it shows ...

I finally got 'em home and powered them on, my new Genelec 6010A pair, the last link in the chain of my recording and production suite I have been assembling very very painstakingly for the past 2 years at home. And the subwoofer 5040 arrives in a few days to complete the set-up. I intend to get to know these lil' babies really well, you know ... get my ears used to them, before I shift them over to an acoustically treated, symmetrical and well-isolated room that i'm building ... The AuralPhoenix Atelier, a project-studio-of-a-kind. More on that later ...

Till then, it's the bedroom that they call home ...

Now, I been reading some very interesting discussions about the "breaking-in" of new monitors. This took the cake ...
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/546399-using-pink-noise-burn-speakers.html
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... akers.html

My dealer says, " Just Plug-n'-Play man, stop reading the internet. My forum friends say, " Tell your dealer to grow up, stop being ignorant." Hmmmm, who's right ?!?! :roll: :?

I do undersand I'm being a lil' extra careful, :geek: but I don't mind. I like to call it "Attention to Detail". I'll be bordering on some obsessive-paranoid trait soon though, unless this is sorted lol. :mrgreen:
Just kidding....I worked hard to afford them and I intend to get them going well and maintain them ...that's all :)

So would someone please tell me, Is it needed to play frequency sweeps and/or pink noise for a considerable period of time to break them in ?!?!

If so ... How long ?!?! How finely and steadily do I increase the volume of either/or frequency sweeps and/or pink noise ?!?!

Or does Genelec recommend just "Plug-n'-Play" ?!?!

How much do I need to turn up the levels at the back and how steadily ?!?!

I made all connections with the Mac, the Apogee Duet and I powered them on.

It's slightly disappointing to find the tiny level controller at the back is not in sync with the markings that say 'Min' & 'Max'. It kinda feels that it was put in UPSIDE DOWN
: :?

DO I HAVE A PAIR THAT IS FAULTY THERE ?!?! I'd like if someone official addresses this asap.
I have turned it such that it 'feels' like 30% of the level is engaged. Though now the screw-indicator lands up in line with the 'Max' marking. C'mon guys, Is that an oversight or what ?!?! I'm slightly amused though. :lol :lol: How could Genelec ... :roll:
:

Anyway, I set the levels 30%,played a file having silence for a minute, then a frequency sweep of 10-30,000... slowly turning the Apogee Duets encoder/volume knob up ...
It has 16 level markings ... I started at 1, for 1 hour ...
Then I played a pink noise file for a 2~3 hours, level 2 before doing some more frequency sweeps of 20-20,000 ... each 10,20 an 30 seconds each. I found all these online last night, downloaded and looped them all in an iTunes playlist.

I have been steadily increasing the volume, till the 8th level marking of the Apogee Duet onscreen now .

It's been 12 hours. The monitors are resting for a few. No heating noticable.

The Levels at the back I havent raised.

NOW WHAT ?!?!

Another 12 hour cycle of pink noise and/or frequency sweeps ?!?! Silence ?!?!

When can I consider playing anything and everything through it ?!?!

How slowly do I increase the levels at the back ?!?!

How much of the levels are safe to dial-up on the Apogee Duet ?!?!

Till when ?!?!

When am I ... errr, 'good to go' ?!?!

How many days does this pink noise thingy need to go on if it needs to go on at all ... ?!?! When can I safely turn up the levels on the back of the 6010A, and on my Apogee Duet too ?!?! I want to be sure the drivers are well 'broken-in' before I playback anything and everything. But wait, that IS the way to break-in new drivers isn't it lol, playing anything and everything ?! :mrgreen:

So....What does Genelec 'officially' have to say about their monitors needing 'breaking-in' by customers after they buy them ?! Is it necessary at all ?! Or is it hogwash ?!

Many regards,

A

p.s.: I am really in love with these babies... The pics should be testament to that lol.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Monitor Break-in ... Myth or Mantra ?!?!

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

You seem excited for sure, and that's a good thing! 8-) But man, you could have been enjoying your new speakers all this time you have been running frequency sweeps and pink noise! So no, no break-in is required nor does it bring you any noticeable performance / sound quality gains. The only thing that changes slightly is the woofer's suspension compliance (the suspension looses up a bit) which makes the bass sound a little bit more emphasized (than right out of the box), but we are talking about very small differences here. And in any case, this will happen naturally during the few first hours of listening.

When it comes to the level adjustment on the back of the speaker, please notice that the bevelled edge of the knob shows you the intended level. Also please notice that the knob is the input sensitivity setting, not the volume. So in other words you use it to adjust the speakers input sensitivity to match your source's output gain. Usually it's best to set the input sensitivity to minimum with computer sound cards because they have more output gain than your typical audio pre-amplifier. By doing this, you will have more usable range with your Apogee Duet output gain (volume).
auralphoenix, modified 10 Years ago.

Thx so much for replying and clarifying that Ilkka, and yeah I sure am excited. 8-)

I'm off to make my first playlist ...

But wait ...

When it comes to the level adjustment on the back of the speaker, please notice that the bevelled edge of the knob shows you the intended level.

Alright, but as I said .. the indented groove for adjustment on the knob goes right round, past the "Level Min" mark when I turn it counter-clockwise ... It comes to rest on what mimics the 2'oclock position.

Now that seems a lil' errrr baffling ...

It's turning as if it were put in upside down ... ( 2 o'clock-min/10 o'clock-max ) Get the picture ?!?!

Could you please tell me if I want the input sensitivity to be minimum, as you kindly suggested, where should I bring that indented groove on the knob to rest ?!?!

a] At what is marked "Level Min" i.e. 8 o'clock , even though the groove goes beyond ?!?!

b] At 2 o'clock where it 'feels' like the level is minimum, and the knob stops turning ?!?!

I been around knobs and markings a little, even though I'm new to ones on Genelecs ...

This feels like it's not been put in right, period. 8-)

As I earlier stated, it feels like you guys assembled it upside down lol. :lol: It's an oversight I'm really prepared to oversee, and I ain't no critical reviewer to write home about it or anything .... but I gotta get to the bottom of this ...

Call it caution, or call it curiosity ...

Or call it a way to get to know you better ...

:)

regards,

A
ilkka-rissanen, modified 4 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

auralphoenix, modified 10 Years ago.

Bingo !!! ... I just didn't have a digicam handy :(

...And am much a word-man :mrgreen:

Thx all the same, for helping me out ... and for building such a cool speaker ;)

I'm enjoying my music on them as I type btw ... Nice :)