Message Boards

Taking apart an 8030A

wheeltapper, modified 10 Years ago.

Taking apart an 8030A

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/12/11 Recent Posts
Hi

Does anybody know how to disassemble an 8030A?

The unit powers on and sounds fine but something has come loose inside. I hear it move when I move the speaker. I don't think it's worth a trip to the repair shop as I'm sure something just needs securing in there.

Many thanks
wheeltapper, modified 10 Years ago.

*SOLVED* Re: Taking apart an 8030A

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/12/11 Recent Posts
Hello

Fixed it!

I was having trouble separating the two halves of the cabinet but with some very judicious prising they came apart. They were being held together quite tightly by the seal that sits between the two halves. After removing the four large allen bolts, I used a ruler to gain some purchase along most of the length of the cabinet so as not to put too much pressure on a single point (and maybe make a dent!).

The toroidal coil had come free. The captive thread that the coil is bolted on to had snapped. It must have happened during shipping. Be warned! They're more delicate than you think.

Looking inside one of these beasts I have to say that I was very impressed with the construction and build quality. I now see how the price is entirely justified (notwithstanding how they actually sound).

I don't know if this will be a useful post to anyone but I thought I 'd document it just in case.