Message Boards

Connecting Genelec 8240A to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

treol, modified 10 Years ago.

Connecting Genelec 8240A to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 9/14/11 Recent Posts
Who can give an advise on how should I connect a pair of Genelec 8240A to my interface - Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

It has both digital outputs and analog monitor outputs. But digital ones are not of AES/EBU XLR type but either SPDIF/AES (RCA phono) or optical ADAT/SPDIF (Toslink).
Is it OK just to use RCA to XLR cable (like this one)?
I suppose that in this case I should switch the SPDIF/AES output to AES mode - is this correct?

Thank you! :)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Connecting Genelec 8240A to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Genelec DSP loudspeakers understand SPDIF even if this is not advertised as a feature. When SPDIF is used the digital audio cable length is limited to about 3 meters because of the SPDIF interface characteristics. In any case Genelec recommends the use of an impedance converting transformer. This is needed to preserve accurate waveforms when fitting the 75 ohm characteristic impedance SPDIF output to the 110 ohm terminated AES/EBU input.

In any case Genelec recommends the use of an impedance converting transformer. This is needed to preserve accurate waveforms when fitting the 75 ohm characteristic impedance SPDIF output to the 110 ohm terminated AES/EBU input.

Transformer like this one?

In any case Genelec recommends the use of an impedance converting transformer. This is needed to preserve accurate waveforms when fitting the 75 ohm characteristic impedance SPDIF output to the 110 ohm terminated AES/EBU input.

Transformer like this one?

One of these would be the right choice: http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/a ... nsformers/

When it comes to selecting the AES mode on the Saffire, I'm not sure, better to test whether you can spot any obvious performance gain or not. I'm quite sure either option works just ok.

Ilkka Rissanen

Thank you once again! :)

And excuse me, but I've got another question :D
Can you advise me how to feed multiple digital sources to one set of speakers (and choose between them)? It's quite simple to find such a solution with analog sources but I didn't discover yet how to manage digital ones.
Specifically, I have a digital recorder/player with SPDIF out, channel strip with internal ADC and AES/EBU and ADAT out, mic preamp with internal ADC and AES (DB25) and ADAT out and the abovementioned audio interface. And I want to monitor sources other than DAW without running the signal through audio interface. Of course, I can monitor all of them through their analog outputs, but what about digital ones? Can U provide me with a solution? ;)

I can't think of any other solution than a simple digital signal switcher. Do such devices exist or should you need to design one yourself - unfortunately I have no experience. :)

Ilkka Rissanen

Thanx! That was just a curiosuty anyway :roll: Alas, I'm not an electronics engineer, but my father is. I'll send him a challenge :D

Hello,

Coming back to an earlier post. :)

Digital signal switchers are available on the professional market but they are not simple or very low-cost. However, they are an existing solution.

Some manufacturers you could look at include...
Blackmagic
Hosa
Lynx
RDL
Hear Technologies
Audio Technologies
Soniflex (RB-DSS 10)
RDLnet
Matrix Switch Corporation (http://www.matrix-switch.tv/products/aesswitchers/)
and there are more available...

The Google search "digital signal switcher AES/EBU" finds some solutions for this problem.