Message Boards

Upgrade opinions for desktop audio?

steventam, modified 10 Years ago.

Upgrade opinions for desktop audio?

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 8/25/11 Recent Posts
I am using 8020B for my desktop audio system for multimedia (Music, Movies, Speech, etc..) purpose.
My setup: MacBook Pro -> Antelope ZODIAC Gold (as DAC and Pre-amp) -> Genelec 8020B

I must say the sound is good and I love the genelec's speaker after I compared to other brands, however, the result of overall sound quality is not as good as I expected. As a result, I am thinking some upgrade opinions from the speaker section but one major problem is that the size of my listening area is absolutely critical and I could say it is exactly a "desk audio". I am wondering if the sound quality will be improved when replaced the 8020B with a larger speaker such as 8030A or 8040A. I am not quite sure how to handle this situation.

I would appreciate any of suggestions and recommendations.
1038, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Upgrade opinions for desktop audio?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi Steven,

The first thing you should do is get your speakers off the desktop.

If you can get them up to ear level you will be amazed at the difference in sound quality.

If you upgrade to 30's or 40's you will still have the same issues if you sit them on your desk.

Genelec have just released a new table top stand for the 20's, you will see a story about these in tech tips.

I have mine sitting on their empty boxes, you can try this to experience what difference you will achieve.

For my Parent's system i installed their 6010's on a shelf just above their computer monitor, this keeps their desktop uncluttered and looks very neat.

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. As I have already installed the table stand for my 8020B's setting up to ear level and I agreed that it helps a lot. However, I am still wondering if the sound quality will be improved when I upgraded to a bigger model at a small area and short listening distance.

Steven
1038, modified 10 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi Steve,

What is your listening distance from the speaker baffle?

The 8040's could be an option if you sit over 1 meter from the speaker, my only concern with going to the 40's would be the amount of LF they are capable of generating, if your budget allows the 8240's would be a stunning solution.

In most of the 8240 systems i have installed and calibrated the 8240's are flat to below 30Hz! The other major benefit of the larger speaker is SPL, they will fill the room effortlessy with a ton of reserve for dynamisc.

The amount of boundary gain you will experience is difficult to predict, as you can see in the screenshot below, we had about 20dB gain at about 70Hz and 10dB gain at 40Hz. The 40's are spectacular for a 6" 2 way speaker, this boundary gain also means that GLM can now utilise that boundary gain to provide lower distortion and more headroom as the wall is providing so much gain.

Thank you again for your detail information.
The data is really useful for me and I will take into considering for choosing a bigger speaker.