Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

proper calibrating of replacement woofers on S30-c

slipperman, modified 10 Years ago.

proper calibrating of replacement woofers on S30-c

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/14/11 Recent Posts
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of s30-c monitors, but their surrounds were badly deteriorated. I immediately ordered a pair of replacement drivers, and installed them. I was warned that these woofers can vary in level up to around 2.5 db. Now, is there a way that I can effectively (at home, in studio) calibrate these woofers close to spec. without the use of an anechoic chamber as Genelec does. How do I know if one or the other is below or above the intended output level in relation to the mid and tweeter?

I have an SPL meter, as well as RTA software available for calibration in the room, but don't know the proper procedure to obtain the correct balance.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: proper calibrating of replacement woofers on S30-c

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello Jim,

The correct balance is a flat frequency response (on axis) in an anechoic environment. You can measure the speaker also without the chamber, but it is not as accurate and will need a careful setup. Do you have any experience in measuring loudspeakers? What kind of gear do you have (microphone, programs etc.)?
slipperman, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: proper calibrating of replacement woofers on S30-c

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/14/11 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,

I realize this is less than optimal, but I was hoping that since the miss and ribbon tweeters should still be in adjustment, that balancing the woofer level relative to them might be possible in a treated control room. I have very little technical experience when it comes to adjusting loudspeakers, but I do understand most of the concepts. I have Faber Electroacoustics Toolbox on my studio Mac, and access to an Earthworks reference mic, as well as an old General Radio precision sound level meter.

I've already used the sound level meter weighed on "C" (slow) to measure an 83db listening level from the listening position, and balanced the levels of each speaker while generating pink noise on left, than right. I've also measured a 1k tone from the listening position with the software FFT Analyzer and adjusted bass tilt on one of the speakers until the curves on each aligned as much as possible. I wasn't sure where to go from there, and if I should be using a different method, different tone, sequence of tones, etc. They're sounding pretty good to my ears right now, but I'm pretty anal about knowing that they've been adjusted as well as could be considering the tools that I have.

Thanks for your response.

Sincerely,

Jim Parker