Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

1037Cs overkill?

mrgrumpie, modified 10 Years ago.

1037Cs overkill?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 8/7/10 Recent Posts
Hi

I'm shortly about to build my dedicated theatre, and am currently using HT208Bs in a living room setup. The theatre is likely to be in the region of 3m x 5m, once it is fully soundproofed and treated. The speakers will be hidden behind a perforated screen, and I wondered what would be the most suitable speakers for this application?

I'll be playing at around -10db most of the time, and the seating distance is likely to be 3.5-4m away from the screen. Are the HT208s going to be sufficient, or will there be a noticeable difference with HT210s? Alternatively, if I were really to push the boat out, is there ANY benefit (or indeed would potentially things get worse) if I installed a set of 1037Cs across the front?

I won't know until it's all setup properly, but in general I've used an 80hz crossover, with a pretty meaty subwoofer (not sure what the sub will be, something like a Velodyne DD15+ or a DIY sub).

Thanks
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: 1037Cs overkill?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

When looking at clean SPL capability, HT208s will be sufficient for that room and for that listening level (I assume you mean 10 dB below Dolby reference level?). Totally another question is the benefit of having larger speakers. For sure there is a noticeable difference when moving up to HT210, 1037C etc. Whether the difference is large enough to justify the higher acquisition cost is unfortunately up to you. :) I have seen similar rooms like your equipped with 1038Bs (yes, you read it right :D ) so I can't see any sonic downsides when calibrated properly (room EQ dip switches). Of course it's more difficult to install large cabinets nicely. Are you going in for flush mounted or free standing configuration?

Thanks for the reply. I do mean -10db below Dolby reference level. I'll be flush mounting all of the speakers so having big boxes on stands isn't going to be an issue, and I'll be getting the room itself designed by someone who understands acoustics :)

I notice though, that the setup guides all indicate toe-in so the tweeter is pointing directly at a sweetspot, but wasn't sure if this applies to home use as well as studio use. I understood that because of the DCW, toe-in wasn't quite so important? I ask this as well in light of my planned living room setup. I already have 3 x aiw26s ready to install in a floating wal (can you tell I'm a Genelec fan? :lol: ), and naturally due to these being in-walls, there is no toe-in.

Back to the question of the speakers though - let's assume an 80hz crossover will be used, am I throwing money away by going for the 1037Cs over my existing HT208s? Is there a really noticeable in quality, given the room dimensions and listening distances I've outlined?
saurama, modified 10 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 4/16/09 Recent Posts
There are several advantages in using a bigger model, max. SPL capacity is only one of them. Bigger model is more directive -> more direct sound into listening spot and less reflections from the room (reflections that smear the sound). Therefore bigger model usually gives both more transparent sound and better imaging. Also, all loudspeakers (yes, even Genelecs) produce more and more distortion as SPL rises. With a big model the distortion is considerably smaller than with a small model, even when both are used within smaller model's SPL-limits.

Maybe Genelec could say these more clearly in its speaker selection webpages and brochures. Although I do see the downside, people might buy bigger models than they originally planned ;) ...

I notice though, that the setup guides all indicate toe-in so the tweeter is pointing directly at a sweetspot, but wasn't sure if this applies to home use as well as studio use. I understood that because of the DCW, toe-in wasn't quite so important? I ask this as well in light of my planned living room setup. I already have 3 x aiw26s ready to install in a floating wal (can you tell I'm a Genelec fan? :lol: ), and naturally due to these being in-walls, there is no toe-in.

Yes, it applies to home use as well as studio use. The frequency response of Genelec speakers is flattest at on axis (and around +/- 10 degrees around it on both horizontal and vertical plane), so if you won't point the speakers to the sweet spot, the frequency response will have more deviations. Also one of the strongest reflections, the first side wall reflection, will be smaller when speakers are rotated towards the centre of the room.

In-walls are more difficult to install correctly. If you want to do it perfectly, you need to tilt the walls. :)

Back to the question of the speakers though - let's assume an 80hz crossover will be used, am I throwing money away by going for the 1037Cs over my existing HT208s? Is there a really noticeable in quality, given the room dimensions and listening distances I've outlined?

Yes, there really is a noticeable gain in quality! Like Samu explained above, it's not only at the high listening levels where a larger and more capable speaker will show its strength, you can really hear it also at lower listening levels. You just have to hear it yourself to believe. :)

I now have 3 x Genelec 1037C and 4 x AiW26 for my home theatre, thanks for the replies 8-)

I now have 3 x Genelec 1037C and 4 x AiW26 for my home theatre, thanks for the replies 8-)

Wow, pictures? :D